Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 25, 2024, 3:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subsequent truths
RE: Subsequent truths
(November 10, 2011 at 9:22 am)chadster1976 Wrote: Yes. The bible does say that if you are raped in the city then you are to be stoned to death as an adulterer. If you are raped in a field, it isn't your fault.

Where does it state that?
Between the bad-ass pork roast recipe and the instructions on how to properly gut a fish.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The more stupid laws seem to be in leviticus, that is one funny little read.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(November 24, 2011 at 9:23 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(November 10, 2011 at 9:22 am)chadster1976 Wrote: Yes. The bible does say that if you are raped in the city then you are to be stoned to death as an adulterer. If you are raped in a field, it isn't your fault.

Where does it state that?
John 8
4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

Deuteronomy 22:22 "If a man is found sleeping with another man's wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die."

In John 8 is the only spot where stoning for adultery is mentioned. The Chad appears to be wrong.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(November 10, 2011 at 9:07 am)chadster1976 Wrote: As a Christian, I am constantly amazed by how often I am told I am not a true believer BY OTHER CHRISTIANS!!!

Now, just historically, the Roman Catholic Church is probably the oldest Christian denomination there is and is the largest. It also holds scriptures in original languages and relies on the older texts to form its doctrines. You would therefore assume that it is closest to the church set up by Jesus. Right? Well not according to some. Many YEC's rely on 20th century translations of the Bible that have slightly differing translations and are annotated in such a ways as to guide away from traditional interpretation.

Where does it state in the original Greek text of Genesis that the 6 days of creation were distinct 24 hour periods? It doesn't.

Sorry - but a day is a day

IT is claimed that the bible was the inspired word of a god - which we now know to be nonsense - but lets run with that claim

IF a god did inspire the bible - and was all knowing -as claimed - and there is ONLY ONE GOD doing the inspiration as claimed -then the "day" word would have to mean the same thing throughout the bible and throughout other jewish scripture as well. WHen the bible was first written - in about 450 bce - the "day" was well known for jews - as being the time between Sundown - and the next Sundown. A claim that it would mean a period of time different from that - does not follow with ALL of the other uses for the word in the fairy tales. Sorry - YOUR inference fails logically

So - UNLESS you are attempting to say that the chirst was in the ground for a VERY LONG TIME (whatever the time you claim creation took) - your claim makes NO sense

(November 10, 2011 at 9:07 am)chadster1976 Wrote: As a Christian, I am constantly amazed by how often I am told I am not a true believer BY OTHER CHRISTIANS!!!

Now, just historically, the Roman Catholic Church is probably the oldest Christian denomination there is and is the largest. It also holds scriptures in original languages and relies on the older texts to form its doctrines. You would therefore assume that it is closest to the church set up by Jesus. Right? Well not according to some. Many YEC's rely on 20th century translations of the Bible that have slightly differing translations and are annotated in such a ways as to guide away from traditional interpretation.

Where does it state in the original Greek text of Genesis that the 6 days of creation were distinct 24 hour periods? It doesn't.

Sorry - but a day is a day

IT is claimed that the bible was the inspired word of a god - which we now know to be nonsense - but lets run with that claim

IF a god did inspire the bible - and was all knowing -as claimed - and there is ONLY ONE GOD doing the inspiration as claimed -then the "day" word would have to mean the same thing throughout the bible and throughout other jewish scripture as well. WHen the bible was first written - in about 450 bce - the "day" was well known for jews - as being the time between Sundown - and the next Sundown. A claim that it would mean a period of time different from that - does not follow with ALL of the other uses for the word in the fairy tales. Sorry - YOUR inference fails logically

So - UNLESS you are attempting to say that the chirst was in the ground for a VERY LONG TIME (whatever the time you claim creation took) - your claim makes NO sense

Where does it state in the original Greek text of Genesis that the 6 days of creation were distinct 24 hour periods?

A day is a day.

If - as claimed - the bible is actually the word of a monotheistic god who is all knowing - then IT would would have to use a consistent meaning for any particular word

Since the word "day" is used all over the bible - it cannot be claimed to mean all sorts of different things. For example- if you claim that creation took a time period other than days - that time period would apply to the christ in the ground as well.
Interesting thought, Thom.
Trying to update my sig ...
Somewhat fixed now. To avoid problems in the future, please be mindful of quote tags.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]