Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 20, 2024, 1:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Nihilists here?
RE: Any Nihilists here?
The usual one my dude.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
From my limited understanding there's a variety of POV which can be yermed nihilism.

I hold to the following, and believe that falls under the constellation of nihilism as far as I can tell:

There are no objective or ultimate meanings
There is no God or supernatural or afterlife
Full knowledge cannot be obtained on anything except that thoughts exist
There is no objective morality
The universe has no reason for being and is absurd
Freewill is an illusion and doesn't exist

It may be, however, that some would say that doesn't classify as nihilism. Some would. Its an ill defined term, perhaps.
(August 21, 2023 at 1:19 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: There are no objective or ultimate meanings
You'll negotiate here.

Quote:There is no God or supernatural or afterlife
You wont negotiate here but it doesn't matter if you do.
Quote:Full knowledge cannot be obtained on anything except that thoughts exist
No negotiation required.
Quote:There is no objective morality
You'll fail to land...and dollars to doughnuts, you don't live your life this way....
Quote:The universe has no reason for being and is absurd
Not nihilism, amusingly.
Quote:Freewill is an illusion and doesn't exist
Also not nihilism..less amusingly.
Quote:It may be, however, that some would say that doesn't classify as nihilism.  Some would.  Its an ill defined term, perhaps.
It's not an ill defined term, it's an impossible standard to live by for human beings - rightly or wrongly.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I guess we're using different definitions. That's fine.

What do you mean by I'll negotiate and fail to land?
I mean exactly what I say. I appreciate and respect nihilism as an intellectual position - but I'm confident that no nihilist feels or lives their life that way. That may be because human biology interferes, but there it is. You'll negotiate on the possibility of meaning because you want your nihilist utterances to mean something. You'll fail to land for the same reason.
Oh, right. Yes, my claim to there being no objective ultimate meanings (like a meaning to life) doesn't mean I'm claiming that there can't be an interpersonal semantic meaning to words, say.

As for not living my life as if objective morality doesn't exist, I wouldn't even know what that would look like. I don't believe moral realism is true, and I live my life. It has some impact, but not a large one. What kind of impact would you expect such a lack of belief to have?

At present, it seems we simply have two quite different views as to what nihilism is.
I would expect a genuine or apprehensive nihilist to live like...well...nothing really meant anything. Like the ideology states. None of you do. None of you can. Even Nietzsche couldn't let the ink dry before he inserted meaning to his meaningless world.

Ultimately, if there's no difference between nihilism and subjectivism then there is no nihilism, because there's certainly subjectivism. Maybe you're all just moody subjectivists misrepresenting yourselves?
I don't think all forms of nihilism hold to the idea that nothing whatsoever has any meaning in any way. Wiki and IEP seem to show, to me anyway, the breadth (and banality) of nihilism.

If the term nihilist doesn't seem appropriate for my beliefs (or absence thereof) what term is a better fit for me in your opinion?
(August 21, 2023 at 2:47 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: I don't think all forms of nihilism hold to the idea that nothing whatsoever has any meaning in any way.  
The very essence of negotiation.  When a "nihilist" says that things lack meaning..they apparently only mean some things, regardless of whether or not the meaning of things x and y are mechanically equivalent.  They'll accept x, and reject y.

Quote:Wiki and IEP seem to show, to me anyway, the breadth (and banality) of nihilism.  

If the term nihilist doesn't seem appropriate for my beliefs (or absence thereof) what term is a better fit for me in your opinion?

I wouldn't have the slightest my dude, you're the only one in your head.  I have a general idea of what's in literally no ones head because were all the same animal, but beyond that.....
Back to different definitions of nihilism. I'll stick with the term for now as I think it's useful and accurate.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long term Nihilists CapnAwesome 41 8010 April 26, 2015 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Any Vegetarians/Vegans here? là bạn điên 1057 179615 August 13, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: jughead