Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 20, 2024, 4:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Nihilists here?
RE: Any Nihilists here?
(August 24, 2023 at 5:38 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 24, 2023 at 5:15 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: @Brian
Why do you think that?

Why do you ask? Isn’t the question meaningless?

Boru

I dont think so, no.
Or, at least, a purported objective purpose, is a soul forge. The good thing about objective statements, is that they can be true or false. The soul forge being in the second set.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 24, 2023 at 5:44 am)Ahriman Wrote:
(August 24, 2023 at 4:58 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: Life is vain.  It has no objective purpose or meaning or value.
Doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.

But if you hold to certain positions then you are a nihilist, or Christian, or whatever, regardless of disposition or mood.

Actually it does. Life's objective purpose is to serve as an education module for human beings. Humans should be tested in all possible ways, until they give up trying to be better than God. When people have learned that they will never be greater than God, they will then be free to do as they like.

Well, obviously I disagree. But it seems clear now why you're not a nihilist.
(August 24, 2023 at 5:45 am)FrustratedFool Wrote:
(August 24, 2023 at 5:38 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Why do you ask? Isn’t the question meaningless?

Boru

I dont think so, no.

that - right there, is all I mean by the negotiation with reality that I keep talking about.  Where a person -needs- to specify that they are only a nihilist about some things, and that they accept some things even if those things are premised identically to things they reject as a part of nihilism as they know it, or as they practice it.

Broadly, this is what happened to nihilism (and absurdism, and existentialism).  That's why it's hard to find good contemporary work on it.  It turned into pragmatism.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I guess the issue is that I never saw nihilism as requiring one be nihilistic on everything.

As far as I could tell from my limited reading nihilism is just a family of viewpoints that hold to certain positions, and that if you hold to a set of those positions you are a nihilist.

As far as I can tell, the set of nihilistic positions I hold are consistent and coherent, and make me a nihilist.
Well, I wouldn't personally demand that a person be nihilistic about everything - though I do think it's important that if a person says they're nihilistic about x, they include all of the things that share in the rejected notion x. My comment about moral realism, if false, from before.
I agree.

I don't think anything I'm nihilistic about anything that leads to a contradiction with something else I believe.
Absurdism is the philosophy of, "I'm not having it, someone else can have it but I'm not having it" which actually makes no sense because why the fuck would you let someone else have something you could've had yourself, especially if you worked harder for it than the other person. And further than that, it's actually extremely disrespectful towards the human race, in that it removes the human element of deservedness from the equation and instead bestows gifts (that should have been given to humans) to other life forms, so that they can enjoy the fruits of human labor. It's masochistic to an absolutely horrific degree.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
Well, for starters, it's unclear how we can deny a moral fact without at least calling into question any other mechanically similar fact or fact-alike utterance. It's likely, from my experience, that whatever justification we give for the acceptance of one class of facts will be the basis for my next purported moral fact. From the other end, it's quite a spectacle. I can sum the whole bit up in two lines.

Man, it's not like that!
-Man it's just like that.
(August 24, 2023 at 6:18 am)Ahriman Wrote: Absurdism is the philosophy of, "I'm not having it, someone else can have it but I'm not having it" which actually makes no sense because why the fuck would you let someone else have something you could've had yourself, especially if you worked harder for it than the other person. And further than that, it's actually extremely disrespectful towards the human race, in that it removes the human element of deservedness from the equation and instead bestows gifts (that should have been given to humans) to other life forms, so that they can enjoy the fruits of human labor. It's masochistic to an absolute horrific degree.

I dont see absurdism like that. But I'm not all that conversant with it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long term Nihilists CapnAwesome 41 8011 April 26, 2015 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Any Vegetarians/Vegans here? là bạn điên 1057 179634 August 13, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: jughead