Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 22, 2024, 11:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday?
RE: What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday?
Purely anecdotal.

I make sure to get a full blood workup done annually, I was reviewing the results of some of my labs since 2016. Since that time, I have lost 140 pounds and stopped eating meat except for fish and shellfish, stopped drinking alcohol, and I put a real effort into eating well.

You wouldn't know it from the data - my total cholesterol is flat at about 210 - thereby debunking any connection between dietary and serum cholesterol, at least for me.
(July 16, 2024 at 9:19 pm)Jackalope Wrote: Purely anecdotal.

I make sure to get a full blood workup done annually, I was reviewing the results of some of my labs since 2016.  Since that time, I have lost 140 pounds and stopped eating meat except for fish and shellfish, stopped drinking alcohol,  and I put a real effort into eating well.

You wouldn't know it from the data - my total cholesterol is flat at about 210 - thereby debunking any connection between dietary and serum cholesterol, at least for me.

I have a cardiology appt. on the 25th.  Doc and I are in for another fight regarding statin usage.  My cholesterol is a tiny bit high, so low my regular doc is not concerned.  But this whole awful sickness I have suffered for over a year has a link to the use of statins.  Since I was losing a lot of weight and it was determined that I was not taking in calories or nutrients, I have to believe that I was also not just sucking the cholesterol out of what I was managing to eat and keep down for a few minutes.

First of the year doc and I got into it again about statins...he swears there is nothing else that you can take.  I took THREE in a week and spiraled into a GI hell that had me down to about 97 pounds.  He can stuff those damn statins.  Maybe I will die without them, but he's the one been griping about how much weight I was losing starting about two years into first taking the damn things.  

It's true that you have to advocate for yourself.  

And just FYI, as of today...I am up to 108 pounds.  It may not sound like a lot but I look and feel a lot better.  While everyone else is trying to control/lose weight...I need to put rolls of quarters into my pockets to keep from blowing away.

Oops, appt is the 26th.
[Image: MmQV79M.png]  

^ I hope that you can find a doctor who can actually help you. You have things going on that obviously aren't being addressed.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(July 16, 2024 at 9:19 pm)Jackalope Wrote: Purely anecdotal.

I make sure to get a full blood workup done annually, I was reviewing the results of some of my labs since 2016.  Since that time, I have lost 140 pounds and stopped eating meat except for fish and shellfish, stopped drinking alcohol,  and I put a real effort into eating well.

What's the high (HDL), low (LDL) and very low (VLDL) numbers, did they change? Did the HDL to Total ratio change? Just curious.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 16, 2024 at 10:29 pm)Fireball Wrote: ^ I hope that you can find a doctor who can actually help you. You have things going on that obviously aren't being addressed.

The GI and his PA seem to be making progress.  I have to get the cardiologist onboard.  He and I have fought over three other meds, I won those fights and did well except for the different statin.

About one med, he told me he had a thousand patients taking it without a problem....I told him I am patient 1,001.  

I survived breast cancer and a widow maker.  I am not playing any more games with this man.  We will be having a come to Jesus meeting on the 25th.

Then on the 29th I will be scoped again to see if my ulcer is getting any better and I think it is.  The pain is gone.

[Image: otLBgVe.jpeg]
More than 11 years without tire fitting/repair. This is what one of the wheels of the Curiosity Rover looks like at the moment.
Mustard on watermelon is a thing now.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Quote:Is gemfibrozil (Lopid) a statin? No. Gemfibrozil (Lopid) is a fibrate, which is a class of medications that help with cholesterol problems, especially high triglycerides.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(July 17, 2024 at 7:48 am)Foxaèr Wrote: Mustard on watermelon is a thing now.

[Image: d4190b8cbff29e86cc29fb823efc096e036675da...ebb9_1.jpg]

Ernie is my spirit animal.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(July 17, 2024 at 7:50 am)Angrboda Wrote:
Quote:Is gemfibrozil (Lopid) a statin? No. Gemfibrozil (Lopid) is a fibrate, which is a class of medications that help with cholesterol problems, especially high triglycerides.

I think the doctor is just so sold on statins that he refuses to use anything else.  I will be letting him know that I won't take the statins I have and he can either find something else, I can find someone else, or we just go with the supposed risks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How's the weather treating you today? Silver 259 9615 August 20, 2024 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1468 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Awfully quiet today. arewethereyet 29 3084 April 9, 2023 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 979 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1458 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  My uncle died from COVID19 today. Jehanne 17 1544 November 26, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Last movie you didn't watch Fake Messiah 43 3734 November 16, 2020 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I heard from Rob today! ReptilianPeon 2 609 March 29, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Today was a good day...why? arewethereyet 35 4456 March 5, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I just found out today. Brian37 2 771 February 12, 2020 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Brian37