Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 18, 2024, 8:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washington Commanders Thread
RE: Washington Commanders Thread
(August 11, 2024 at 3:56 pm)MR. Macabre 666 Wrote: The Washington Commanders, really? I don't know which team is worse, them, or the Cleveland Guardians. These have to be the worst cases of organizations caving into the "woke" mob insanity. They're the fucking Washington Redskins and the Cleveland Indians.

No body has ever been offended by these franchises until now, and it's fucking pathetic. The K.C. Chiefs are probably next on their list, but I sincerely doubt that their owner has any intention to erase that franchises' history to appease maybe 1 percent of the US population.

I have been a lifetime Washington fan, and I understand and accept the name change.  I am more concerned with wins than the name. Life changes, grow up.
(August 11, 2024 at 3:56 pm)MR. Macabre 666 Wrote: The Washington Commanders, really? I don't know which team is worse, them, or the Cleveland Guardians. These have to be the worst cases of organizations caving into the "woke" mob insanity. They're the fucking Washington Redskins and the Cleveland Indians.

No body has ever been offended by these franchises until now, and it's fucking pathetic. The K.C. Chiefs are probably next on their list, but I sincerely doubt that their owner has any intention to erase that franchises' history to appease maybe 1 percent of the US population.

Nobody you know has been offended. However, it's pretty sloppy thinking to imagine that your own experience is encapsulating.

(August 11, 2024 at 7:00 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

Nobody you know has been offended. However, it's pretty sloppy thinking to imagine that your own experience is encapsulating.

Racism is racism, no matter who is or isn't offended, and the former name of the Washington football club was racist. From what I understand of the Cleveland MLB franchise, it wasn't the name so much as the mascot, Chief Wahoo, that most found offensive, especially considering the racist caricature that was their logo. I'm glad to see them changed, though I will miss calling the Commanders the Deadskins or the Foreskins. Big Grin
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
My redneck friend from Oklahoma and I have an ongoing Washington/Dallas bet, and this year will be no different for the two games they play against each other. 

If Washington wins he has to post an ABBA video or something I think he doesn't like as far as music, on his FB page. If Dallas wins I have to post a country music video on my FB page. I hate country music and he loves country music. But we are good sports about it either way. 

Anywho, I will post the losers video in this thread when the time comes after the two games. Now I have gone and done it, the entire world will root for Dallas just to spite me. The universe hates me.
(August 12, 2024 at 2:01 am)Ravenshire Wrote:
(August 11, 2024 at 7:00 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Nobody you know has been offended. However, it's pretty sloppy thinking to imagine that your own experience is encapsulating.

Racism is racism, no matter who is or isn't offended, and the former name of the Washington football club was racist. From what I understand of the Cleveland MLB franchise, it wasn't the name so much as the mascot, Chief Wahoo, that most found offensive, especially considering the racist caricature that was their logo. I'm glad to see them changed, though I will miss calling the Commanders the Deadskins or the Foreskins. Big Grin

Nope, when a tiny percentage of the population gets to decide what is or isn't offensive or racist, then those who are caving in to their demands are cowards. I'd be surprised if any real fan of those sports(NFL, MLB) were the ones who were demanding the name change. 
The majority of Native Americans who were asked if those names offended them said no they weren't.
(August 13, 2024 at 3:41 pm)MR. Macabre 666 Wrote:
(August 12, 2024 at 2:01 am)Ravenshire Wrote: Racism is racism, no matter who is or isn't offended, and the former name of the Washington football club was racist. From what I understand of the Cleveland MLB franchise, it wasn't the name so much as the mascot, Chief Wahoo, that most found offensive, especially considering the racist caricature that was their logo. I'm glad to see them changed, though I will miss calling the Commanders the Deadskins or the Foreskins. Big Grin

Nope, when a tiny percentage of the population gets to decide what is or isn't offensive or racist, then those who are caving in to their demands are cowards. I'd be surprised if any real fan of those sports(NFL, MLB) were the ones who were demanding the name change. 
The majority of Native Americans who were asked if those names offended them said no they weren't.

Even if zero people were offended, those names are still racist and changing them was the right thing to do.

Why should you be mad about it? Have the name changes harmed you or someone you know?

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(August 13, 2024 at 3:41 pm)MR. Macabre 666 Wrote:
(August 12, 2024 at 2:01 am)Ravenshire Wrote: Racism is racism, no matter who is or isn't offended, and the former name of the Washington football club was racist. From what I understand of the Cleveland MLB franchise, it wasn't the name so much as the mascot, Chief Wahoo, that most found offensive, especially considering the racist caricature that was their logo. I'm glad to see them changed, though I will miss calling the Commanders the Deadskins or the Foreskins. Big Grin

Nope, when a tiny percentage of the population gets to decide what is or isn't offensive or racist, then those who are caving in to their demands are cowards.
Why would you assume it's a tiny percentage? Also, since you know what an argumentum ad populum fallacy is, why would you care if a belief is held only by a minority? 

Quote: I'd be surprised if any real fan of those sports(NFL, MLB) were the ones who were demanding the name change. 
Well again this sounds like unevidenced assumption, and again it gets a so what? 

Quote:The majority of Native Americans who were asked if those names offended them said no they weren't.

Do we have any objective evidence to support that claim? While you're looking, you might want to look at later polls...

Quote:Opinion polling was also part of the discussion about whether Native Americans found the term redskin insulting. Two national political polls, the first in 2004 by the National Annenberg Election Survey[5] and another in 2016 by The Washington Post.[158][159][160] were particularly influential. When a respondent identified themselves as Native American, both polls asked, "The professional football team in Washington calls itself the Washington Redskins. As a Native American, do you find that name offensive or doesn’t it bother you?". In both polls, 90% responded that they were not bothered, 9% that they were offended, and 1% gave no response. These polls were widely cited by teams, fans, and mainstream media as evidence that there was no need to change the name of the Washington football team.

In a commentary published soon after the 2004 poll, 15 Native American scholars collaborated on a critique that stated that there were so many flaws in the Annenberg study that rather than being a measure of Native American opinion, it was an expression of white privilege and colonialism.[6] A 2019 poll by University of California, Berkeley surveyed 1,021 Native Americans, twice as many as in any previous polls.[161] 38% of self-identified Native Americans said they were not bothered by the Washington Redskins name. But 49% overall said it was offensive, along with 67% of respondents who were heavily engaged in their native or tribal cultures, 60% of young people, and 52% of those with tribal affiliations.[162]

CITATION

I'd only add, does a name change of this sort harm anyone in any objective way?
(August 13, 2024 at 4:18 pm)Sheldon Wrote: I'd only add, does a name change of this sort harm anyone in any objective way?

Apparently, it rustles the jimmies of those who have no problem with casual racism.
(August 12, 2024 at 2:01 am)Ravenshire Wrote:
(August 11, 2024 at 7:00 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Nobody you know has been offended. However, it's pretty sloppy thinking to imagine that your own experience is encapsulating.

I wasn't dismissing the racist nature of the names, right. I was pointing out that his not knowing anyone who was offended didn't mean that folks weren't offended, it just meant that he didn't know anyone so offended.

(August 13, 2024 at 3:41 pm)MR. Macabre 666 Wrote: Nope, when a tiny percentage of the population gets to decide what is or isn't offensive or racist, then those who are caving in to their demands are cowards.

Why would you want to offend even a tiny percentage of people when you have no need to do so?!?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Washington Football Team vs Seahawks Brian37 32 2258 December 20, 2020 at 11:39 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  The NFC Least. A Washington story. Brian37 1 271 December 7, 2020 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Washington Redskins name. Brian37 17 4811 October 24, 2013 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37