Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 18, 2024, 9:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decline of religion
RE: Decline of religion
[Image: social-issues-religion-religious-churche...24_low.jpg]

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
Why are England’s great cathedrals becoming nightclubs?

Despite widespread criticism and a petition reaching over 3,000 signatures, there was yet a further disco held at Canterbury Cathedral, on none other than the Feast of the Assumption, along with tens of other similar events across the country.

Peterborough Cathedral, the resting place of Catherine of Aragon, will be hosting not one but two club nights in November. The first event – “Ibiza Classics” – takes place on All Souls Day. You will notice they’ve now dropped the pretence of these events being “silent”.

It appears as if the powers that be have decided that the future of these ancient sacred spaces should be one of laser lights and rowdy raves.

Earlier this year, the cathedral hosted gothic rock band Corpus Delicti whose song lyrics are so vulgar they belong in Dante’s seventh circle of hell, rather than in a 15th-century cathedral.

Let’s face it, the Church of England has dwindling numbers but valuable assets, so why not cash in on these? Well, if you’re going to do that, just be honest about what you’re doing.

These old cathedrals are expensive to maintain and declining numbers of Anglican Sunday worshipers mean they are unlikely to be financially sustainable in the long term. So, a partial change of use is not entirely surprising. But, if you asked the general public to give a creative list of alternative uses for these cathedrals, I doubt many, even the ardent atheist would put nightclubs at the top of their list.

https://catholicherald.co.uk/why-werent-...ightclubs/
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
For many sites, it will be a return to their original purpose
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 20, 2024 at 4:42 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: For many sites, it will be a return to their original purpose

What, brothels?  Hehe
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
One of the few services uninterrupted by their christian periods.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I saw this church for sale yesterday: https://www.npdodge.com/p/2231-Avenue-B-..._168359468

On their site they also have this one: https://www.npdodge.com/p/517-S-32nd-Str..._171574892
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
Catholic Church in Germany is offering free tattoos in order to get someone into the church

The diocese of Osnabrück wants to talk to people and make them curious about the Catholic Church. An unusual event will therefore take place on Saturday in the Johanniskirche in Osnabrück: After a joint service, visitors can have a tattoo stabbed inside. The motto of the day: "When faith gets under your skin."

In order to be tattooed at the tattoo service in Osnabrück, an appointment had to be made in advance. If you got one, you can have a Christian symbol stabbed on the forearm or calf on Saturday.

But spontaneously determined people still had the chance to make short-term appointments. You can choose from motifs such as crosses, a dove of peace or a flame.

At the event you want to talk to the visitors. "Experiences are associated with the tattoos, for example grief or solidarity, that is, life stories. We hope to have a dialogue about this, "explains Martina Kreidler-Kos, head of the pastoral department in the diocese.

https://www.watson.de/panorama/439215417...ttesdienst

But the same thing happened in Austria last year.

Quote:"In God's hands" read several of the tattoos inked during a free-of-charge session over the weekend -- organised by none other than Austria's leading group representing Catholic nuns and monks.

The number of people leaving the Catholic church in Austria has been rising, reaching a record of almost 91,000 people last year.

Quo Vadis said hundreds of believers were keen to attend the first such tattoo session near Vienna's iconic St. Stephen's Cathedral on Saturday.

In the end, the dozens of slots available were allotted in a lottery.

The night before the session, the German tattoo artist, his needles and everyone wanting to get tattooed were blessed in a mass.

Believers could select from a list of intricate Christian motifs, including crosses and fishes.

But not everyone was happy about the initiative, with organisers saying they received hate mail.

Some people believe body art is satanic, despite the practice of tattooing stigmata or tributes to a pilgrimage dating back centuries. Even famous Austrians such as the 19th-century Empress Sisi were tattooed.

"I got the criticism that we've turned the church into a disco. I say: okay, then I'm the DJ," countered Father Sandesh Manuel.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20...in-austria
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(September 22, 2024 at 12:14 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Catholic Church in Germany is offering free tattoos in order to get someone into the church

The diocese of Osnabrück wants to talk to people and make them curious about the Catholic Church. An unusual event will therefore take place on Saturday in the Johanniskirche in Osnabrück: After a joint service, visitors can have a tattoo stabbed inside. The motto of the day: "When faith gets under your skin."

In order to be tattooed at the tattoo service in Osnabrück, an appointment had to be made in advance. If you got one, you can have a Christian symbol stabbed on the forearm or calf on Saturday.

But spontaneously determined people still had the chance to make short-term appointments. You can choose from motifs such as crosses, a dove of peace or a flame.

At the event you want to talk to the visitors. "Experiences are associated with the tattoos, for example grief or solidarity, that is, life stories. We hope to have a dialogue about this, "explains Martina Kreidler-Kos, head of the pastoral department in the diocese.

Quote:"In God's hands" read several of the tattoos inked during a free-of-charge session over the weekend -- organised by none other than Austria's leading group representing Catholic nuns and monks.

The number of people leaving the Catholic church in Austria has been rising, reaching a record of almost 91,000 people last year.

Quo Vadis said hundreds of believers were keen to attend the first such tattoo session near Vienna's iconic St. Stephen's Cathedral on Saturday.

The night before the session, the German tattoo artist, his needles and everyone wanting to get tattooed were blessed in a mass.

Believers could select from a list of intricate Christian motifs, including crosses and fishes.

But not everyone was happy about the initiative, with organisers saying they received hate mail.

Some people believe body art is satanic, despite the practice of tattooing stigmata or tributes to a pilgrimage dating back centuries. Even famous Austrians such as the 19th-century Empress Sisi were tattooed.

"I got the criticism that we've turned the church into a disco. I say: okay, then I'm the DJ," countered Father Sandesh Manuel.

I understand that it would have to be a religious tattoo so if they would have sprung for something like in pic below I might be even tempted:

[Image: 4ade647aa6ca64509cebf6c44f76604e.jpg]

Small symbols don't cut the mustard.

Just joking. I can pay for my tattoos and I certainly wouldn't like to support international pedophile ring called catholic church.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
(September 22, 2024 at 12:14 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Catholic Church in Germany is offering free tattoos in order to get someone into the church

I'm heavily tattooed, but I don't think the Catholic Church would approve of any of them.
(September 22, 2024 at 12:28 pm)Ivan Denisovich Wrote:

I understand that it would have to be a religious tattoo so if they would have sprung for something like in pic below I might be even tempted:

[Image: 4ade647aa6ca64509cebf6c44f76604e.jpg]

Small symbols don't cut the mustard.

Just joking. I can pay for my tattoos and I certainly wouldn't like to support international pedophile ring called catholic church.

My back piece took 2 1/2 years to finish, and wouldn't be popular in any of their(my old) churches.