Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 1:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uni Health Care
RE: Uni Health Care
(August 23, 2009 at 6:08 am)padraic Wrote: PS: What's a 3.75 average? Is that supposed to mean smart? In my experience,really smart people have no need to boast about their intelligence. There are people on this forum of whose intellect I'm in awe,yet I can't remember any of them boasting .

You shoulda seen this guy (theist obviously given his argument) on another atheism forum ... his opening post was something along the lines of, "I'm a genius and even I believe in God." Maybe he was (of course he was never able to support the claim) but his phraseology, his logic, his grammar and spelling all implied otherwise so it rapidly became an total slagging match (and not just me)! From this Wiki page she's claiming to be a 90% or better student; it's possible, some of her stuff has been quite smart ... at least I don't recall seeing her post anything particularly dumb outside of this thread and it's debatable whether that is just a cultural thing. To my mind though a truly smart person would be able to be objective about such things and recognise the relative merits of both systems.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
3.75 GPA is almost an A average and I'm assuming she's talking about her college GPA. That is very good, but it also depends on the courses she took and the type of college she went to, 2 year, 4 year and so on. I went to a community college briefly, one year, I ran out of money and had to work full time. My GPA in that short time was 3.5 or something like that, but my classes were PE, art, photography, English comp 101, some basic math, easy stuff. I'm not saying she had basic easy classes, just that a high GPA may be misleading in some cases. Me especially because I'm kinda a dummy. If it weren't for spell check on my computer you guys would have a clue what I'm talking about. Maybe you don't anywaySmile
binnyCoffee
(August 23, 2009 at 1:04 pm)binny Wrote: 3.75 GPA is almost an A average and I'm assuming she's talking about her college GPA. That is very good, but it also depends on the courses she took and the type of college she went to, 2 year, 4 year and so on. I went to a community college briefly, one year, I ran out of money and had to work full time. My GPA in that short time was 3.5 or something like that, but my classes were PE, art, photography, English comp 101, some basic math, easy stuff. I'm not saying she had basic easy classes, just that a high GPA may be misleading in some cases. Me especially because I'm kinda a dummy. If it weren't for spell check on my computer you guys would have a clue what I'm talking about. Maybe you don't anywaySmile

I don't think you are stupid. You seem intelligent. Even though you don't agree with me and I don't agree with you on this healthcare issue doesn't mean that either of us are stupid. That's what is great about living in a free country. People can express their thoughts about social and political issues. I'm not boasting about my average trying to make myself look good but at my school the average student is a C student. A moron isn't going to have a good GPA. I'm a science major and my classes are hard. Most of my basics I haven't even done! I'm putting them off for summer and winter terms. I'm not going to spend a whole semester on public speaking or some BS class like that. My math classes are hard because my major requires physics and lots of chemistry. I go to a 4 year college and my major is Geology. No minor because I'm on an extended track and it covers all aspects of Geology. Basically it prepares me for the ASBOG. I'm working on a Bachelors. I just visited South West Florida and looking to do my masters there. After this fall I will be a junior status.

I can't support free healthcare. I can support an effort to control how much people can charge for procedures and I will support an effort to help people get affordable health insurance. Free...is not an option. It can not become a strain on the taxpayers as a whole. We can't just give people money and free things. I understand that free is the word of this administration but what is free for one person costs money for another one.
(August 22, 2009 at 1:58 pm)bozo Wrote: Dry land fish, I have a feeling thay maybe you aren't what you say you are. I mean, You pour out such poison that makes me wonder whether you are merely playing " devil's advocate " to wind us all up or maybe you represent some ultra right-wing grouping?
Or is all of the stuff really your opinions?

I am not right wing. I support abortion all the way up to partial birth. I support gambling, legalized prostitution, totally nude strip joints, legalization of marijuana, public breast feeding, nude sunbathing, etc. I'm socially very liberal but fiscally I'm a conservative as it comes. My husband says that I'm one of the stingiest people with money he's ever seen. I come from a place that had NO money and almost everyone was on welfare. When you see people on welfare and the majority have nothing wrong with them but laziness it really makes you not want to support the government forcefully taking your money to give to others. Maybe if you had spent 22 years in an area like that you would see where I'm coming from. Most of my high school graduates have kids and no more than a high school education. They get food stamps and sit around on their fat butts and don't contribute to society any. They live in trailers, don't mow their yards, have ten dogs that aren't ever taken to the vet, and just screw and have more kids. It gets old to see working people work to pay for their own families and then see free loaders being supported by the working poor and middle class. People wanting stuff for free where I'm from was so bad that I remember a high school biology teacher saying "there's no free cheese in my class" because saying "I don't give out grades" just didn't register. Those same students were the ones in trouble all the time, fighting all the time, were racist, bigots, and generally disruptive. As I've noticed when I check around my hometown they still are disruptive but instead of detention they are in and out of jail. Do you want to provide healthcare for people like that? Oh and I'm not under 25 but just barely...I'm 26. Oh and some of you live in better countries than the USA. The USA isn't the best country in the world. I don't trust the US government with anything. Our government is dirty and they only care about themselves and the politcians. Some of you that live in Europe and Canada have a better government. I don't want the state of Kentucky controlling my health choices!!! Our last Govenor employed his family members to the point they had to do an investigation and make him fire them because it was illegal. He used government money to pay for his personal expenses! Our government is ran by bone heads!! Look at President Bush!!! He was an idiot. I do not want people like that controlling my care. It's scary!!!
DLF ...

I've been thinking about this, the national health care which benefits everyone (welfare state) vs. your, "Why should I pay for your kids to have health care?" stance.

If everyone thought like you, THAT selfishly, no one EVER do somethign nice for other people, no one would form a project to help the underprivileged, no one would send missions to Africa to help them build schools because We'd all be absolutely selfish and absolutely obsessed with helping ourselves and our own.

That is the implication of what you were saying and I find that an appallingly dark and dismal future bereft of hope and human kindness.

If that's what you truly believe Obama is about (destroying your selfish US private health care system) then you can shove it where the sun don't shine.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Wait, partial birth abortion?

That's a right-wing talking point, not a medical term.
- Meatball
(August 23, 2009 at 4:01 pm)dry land fish Wrote: I can't support free healthcare. I can support an effort to control how much people can charge for procedures and I will support an effort to help people get affordable health insurance. Free...is not an option.

And free ISN'T going to be an option. Obama ISN'T forcing the US to have a singer payer health plan. He wants a public option (which means Medicare for everyone, and that's a bad thing?) in the mix with private insurance that we can ALL CHOOSE from if we want or we can keep what we have if we like it. That's it. I don't know where you're getting your information from, but he is not forcing universal health care on the US. That simply isn't true.
(August 23, 2009 at 4:01 pm)dry land fish Wrote: Oh and I'm not under 25 but just barely...I'm 26.

Well I have 20 years on you in life experience which may account for something. A person grows a lot in 20 years. Maybe you'll shed your callous exterior over time, especially raising children.
binnyCoffee
(August 23, 2009 at 5:11 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: That is the implication of what you were saying and I find that an appallingly dark and dismal future bereft of hope and human kindness.

QFT. Agree 100% Kyu
For the record....me too!!

!!

EvD
d lf,
On a different thread to this, you said that the Democratic and Republican parties are too extreme and that what the USA needs is " centre " politics e.g. ( your example ) independents and libertarians.
How do you seriously think you occupy any centre ground with the views you hold?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
@ DIY

20 years life experience over someone else? WOW! But you're GORMLESS and closed minded (IE unreceptive to new ideas)

Certainly reinforces my belief that the only real difference between a young dickhead and an old fart is about 50 years. IE We don't really change nearly as much as we'd like to think.ME? I'm 61 and have also been to university. (straight A's) So what?

The most valuable thing I learned is the depth of my ignorance,which has diminished very little in my lifetime.I am reminded of this simple fact every time I log onto a forum such as this,BUT I still WANT to learn, so I do,a bit each day..

Not"right wing"? I agree the term tends to be often overused and misunderstood. The term certainly does not do justice to many of the views you have expressed here. I think "extreme right wing" is closer. EG your C19th view on poverty would be hilarious if not serious.

Quote:Far right, extreme right, hard right, ultra-right or radical right are terms used to discuss the qualitative or quantitative position a group or person occupies within a political spectrum. The terms far right and far left are often used to imply that someone is an extremist. The terms are used by many political commentators to discuss political groups, movements, and political parties in order to concentrate complex ideas into simple categories then stereotype and discourage challenges to the status-quo.

I don't know you,so comment only only on my perception based on your posts. Here you would be called 'an ugly American' ' Smug,self absorbed,callous, insular,with a staggering depth of cultural ignorance of anything outside your own small,privileged world.

Partial birth abortion? Do you understand exactly what that means?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intact_dila...h_abortion

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists and health GGG 26 2402 February 12, 2021 at 10:49 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Belief in God can improve mental health outcomes. Mystic 19 6529 May 5, 2013 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  Why Atheists Care About YOUR Religion!!! Gooders1002 32 10300 November 18, 2012 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: festive1
  Creationist books in uni Gooders1002 17 5902 March 14, 2012 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger