Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 6:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
read the bible
RE: read the bible
(May 31, 2012 at 7:36 pm)Polaris Wrote: Well Jews committed genocide against their neighboring nations so they would not have to associate with them. That is why it is a wise assertion that neighbor referred to the community of believers. Sometimes, they did have visitors, but they were often treated as separate.

A Christian is among the community of believers and therefore considered a neighbor as it was considered in the OT.

Oh for fuck sake.It's like trying to converse with a goldfish.---- Just what we need,another village idiot.

I'd better stop here lest I say something unkind rather than simply descriptive.Angel Cloud
Why stop? Please continue. I really doubt you could say something unkind you have not said before.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(May 31, 2012 at 6:57 pm)Polaris Wrote: By neighbor, it refers to the Jewish people which would mean those among the community of believers in modern usage.
I doubt that. The parable of the good Samaritan seems to be fairly clear. Also, as I recall the daughter of a Roman soldier was healed. That would suggest that Jesus extended his goodwill to those outside the faith community.

(May 31, 2012 at 2:20 pm)Polaris Wrote: I wish more militant Atheists would read the Bible. Ignorance gets annoying.
I just wish some would read their own posts to realize how nasty and self-absorbed they sound.
(May 31, 2012 at 7:36 pm)Polaris Wrote: Well Jews committed genocide against their neighboring nations so they would not have to associate with them. That is why it is a wise assertion that neighbor referred to the community of believers. Sometimes, they did have visitors, but they were often treated as separate.

A Christian is among the community of believers and therefore considered a neighbor as it was considered in the OT.

Um, except none of that crap ever happened.

Which does raise an interesting question about modern jews who whine about the holocaust and then passively sit there while someone tells that that "joshua" exterminated the Canaanites.

I guess they get a pass because Hitler was real.
Quote:Which does raise an interesting question about modern jews who whine about the holocaust and then passively sit there while someone tells that that "joshua" exterminated the Canaanites.

I guess they get a pass because Hitler was real.

Whether or not their ancestors (not the people themselves) committed genocide is irrelevant, it would not serve to say that because somebody in the past had committed genocide it is not of their descendants to condemn genocide towards themselves. In this sense, I rather oppose the institution of genocide or religion more than any group of people, genocide is always wrong.
Quote:it would not serve to say that because somebody in the past had committed genocide it is not of their descendants to condemn genocide towards themselves.

It's merely hypocritical...yet peoples who are not on the pointed end of genocide always manage to come up with some justification for it.
(June 1, 2012 at 1:52 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:it would not serve to say that because somebody in the past had committed genocide it is not of their descendants to condemn genocide towards themselves.

It's merely hypocritical...yet peoples who are not on the pointed end of genocide always manage to come up with some justification for it.

It would only be hypocritical if those who were committing genocide were saying that genocide was bad. What you are suggesting would render you a hypocrite too, as you are irreligious but your ancestors were, undoubtedly, religious.
They say it is bad when it happens to them...not when they do it.

Take a peek at Israeli actions in the West Bank/Gaza before you answer.
My point isn't that genocidal hypocrisy is acceptable, but rather that, given that 6,000,000 jews were killed, we can perhaps forgive them the long-removed hypocrisy? I don't condone war or slaughter or even killing in any circumstance, hypocrisy is bad too but I'd like to think that genocide is considerably worse. I certainly don't think it's any fairer to persecute the jews on the grounds of ancestral deeds than to persecute germans for ancestral deeds.

plus, the whole israel/palestine thing is fucked up beyond recognition, I don't think we can sensationalise in this matter, as that tends to lead to genocide in the first place.
(May 31, 2012 at 6:27 am)Brian37 Wrote: The earth was not made in 6 days. Donkeys and Bushes don't talk.

Perhaps, but in my experience, its near impossible to get an ass to shut up.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General statement to theists who read this. Brian37 24 4031 April 11, 2017 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Jeanne
  Atheists who have never read common atheist literature ComradeMeow 68 11204 March 2, 2017 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  What kinds of articles do you read? FKHansen 10 2645 February 11, 2013 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: iameatingjam
  I have reconverted to Christianity...please read! Voltair 7 2456 April 2, 2012 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Erinome
  a must read message george23 20 8677 March 7, 2012 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Chris F
  Now I Know The Truth.. I Cant Go Back! *Must Read* Minns 15 6955 June 20, 2011 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Fun read. Dotard 16 6327 May 24, 2009 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Matt85