Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 10:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the so fallible Bible
RE: the so fallible Bible
(October 8, 2013 at 1:23 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I don't hate them. I just can't help wondering why your "all-loving" god does?
So, if God doesn't feed them, that indicates that he hates them. If you don't feed them, that doesn't indicate that you hate them.

Got hypocrisy? Yes, you sure do!
We're only humans, not all-powerful deities. If I had omnipotence, you can bet your ass I'd be sending them food.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(October 8, 2013 at 1:34 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: We're only humans, not all-powerful deities. If I had omnipotence, you can bet your ass I'd be sending them food.
Oh, I'm sure you would. But if it means you need to reduce some pleasures, the kids can starve for all you care. But you will use them in pictures to insult a being which you don't believe exists.
Confused Fall
(October 8, 2013 at 1:31 pm)John V Wrote:
(October 8, 2013 at 1:23 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I don't hate them. I just can't help wondering why your "all-loving" god does?
So, if God doesn't feed them, that indicates that he hates them. If you don't feed them, that doesn't indicate that you hate them.

Got hypocrisy? Yes, you sure do!

Listen, dickwad, let's get something straight. You have no idea what I have or have not done for disater relief in the world.

However, we can all see that your fucking imaginary god has done nothing to stop these famines, disasters, wars, ________ (fill in the blank.) YOU profess to believe in a god who has the power to do so.

Therefore, I say the god your have concocted is a miserable mother fucker who deserves to be pissed on....and so do all his "followers."
(October 8, 2013 at 1:39 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Listen, dickwad, let's get something straight.
So you're not just a hypocrite, you're a homophobe too.
Quote:You have no idea what I have or have not done for disater relief in the world.
Yes, I have an idea. You could have done more than you actually have done, just by reducing some pleasures. You could take the time you spend here and devote it to reducing suffering in your fellow man. But you don't really give a shit about suffering. And you're not alone. Most people give enough that they don't feel guilty, but not enough that it reduces their standard of living in a significant way. Since you don't believe in god, that puts the responsibility for the kids in that picture on mankind. We could feed them, but we choose not to. By your own standards, that makes mankind evil.
But I don't follow or even claim to follow your fucking god who said to sell everything you own and give it to the poor.

However are you going to explain it to him if you ever meet the fucker in the unlikely event that your bullshit stories are true?

If he existed he would be terribly disappointed in you...and the rest of you clowns.
(October 8, 2013 at 1:06 pm)John V Wrote:
(October 8, 2013 at 1:03 pm)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: It just doesn't make sense.

'Give to the poor' is a mantra that means very little if we're talking in purely fiscal terms, here.

It's about advancement, socially, economically, politically, even culturally. It's about teaching longevity in production, and ensuring we advance to a position of a decent standard of living for all and not just a few.

All you get if you give all your money and possessions to a poor person (relative to you) is two more poor people. Yourself, who has just given up everything, and the person you've given it to, who will be unlikely to either keep it or make it last.

It doesn't make sense. Saying 'just give to the poor' is a good statement only prima facie. Beneath the service it's just a feel good statement that actually causes more harm than good when the logistics of such an action are examined at minimal depth.
Sure, you need to have food and shelter for yourself, and you may need to keep a car and a certain level of clothing in order to earn the most and be able to reduce the most suffering.

This answer still does not address the point I raised.

How, exactly, does donating all you earn/have assist in alleviating the suffering of the poor without dealing with the contextual issues that encompass those issues? It seems like you've just placed an arbitrary level of what constitutes 'enough' to live on whilst assisting in combating 'suffering'. I see no working out. Please show your figures?

1 dimensional thinking regarding poverty and the gaps that exist between the haves and have nots will serve only to exacerbate the issue.

There are much more productive ways to combat poverty and the issues it creates than simply throwing money and possessions at it and those that it affects.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(October 8, 2013 at 1:53 pm)Minimalist Wrote: But I don't follow or even claim to follow your fucking god who said to sell everything you own and give it to the poor.
You claim that it's evil to allow preventable suffering. Mankind allows much preventable suffering. Mankind is evil.
If he existed he would be terribly disappointed in you...and the rest of you clowns.
[/quote]
He'll be terribly disappointed in all of us.
(October 8, 2013 at 1:37 pm)John V Wrote:
(October 8, 2013 at 1:34 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: We're only humans, not all-powerful deities. If I had omnipotence, you can bet your ass I'd be sending them food.
Oh, I'm sure you would. But if it means you need to reduce some pleasures, the kids can starve for all you care. But you will use them in pictures to insult a being which you don't believe exists.
Confused Fall

No, John, it's insulting this imaginary being's believers.

Please understand this. When we say things like "god is an asshole", what we're doing is parodying the beliefs of believers and (in most cases) showing those beliefs for what they really are; silly, and nonsensical.

We don't actually believe something that doesn't exist is an asshole.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Quote: Mankind allows much preventable suffering.

Mankind....particularly hypocritical little shits like you....causes much preventable suffering. But your god seems to approve.

So fuck him.

And you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44949 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7513 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky