Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 2, 2024, 3:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Migraine Remedy Question
RE: Migraine Remedy Question
Oh and anti nausea drugs like doperidone are good in combination. The nausea can affect absorption of the other drugs. For that reason suppositories are also very useful.

I'd love to read that thesis!
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
3 migraine sufferers in the house - all different with some commonality:

My daughter's appear to be directly related with getting over tired. Before we started actively regulating her Sundays, Monday was migraine day for her. We also regulate her intake of milk and chocolate.

Since taking a bit more active control the attacks are getting rarer but they still happen. Usually she goes to bed with a 500 mg paracetamol and sleeps it off. If she's vomiting then we give it to her in suppository form.

My wife's used to be the worst. They could last for days, if not weeks. She'd get extreme sensitivity to light, sound and smell. Nothing really worked - including Triptans - it just took a long time in a dark room. Again vomiting was frequent. The thing that appeared to bring them to a complete halt for years was....pregnancy - no idea why. They came back a few years ago, but at a much lower and more manageable level. Her tablet of choice was Syndol (paracetamol, codeine phosphate, doxylamine succinate and caffeine) but she switched to another tablet a few years ago - the name of which escapes me. Its similar but also available in suppository.

For me the triggers are mainly white and red wine but appear to be caused/related to my neck. Massaging my neck appears to alleviate symptoms (to the point of stopping milder attacks if recognised early enough). Bruffen (Ibruprofen) is my treatment of choice. 1 400 mg tablet and an hour lying down in a dark room usually does the trick. I don't get the vomiting attacks. I do get visual disturbance from time to time - like looking at the world underwater if the attack is during the day. The worst attacks, for me, usually happen at night, whilst I am sleeping. I wake up, its dark and cold and my head is pounding. There is no way to sleep it off - I have to get up, take a bruffen, massage my neck and then sit in the living room for half an hour. Only then can I go back to bed and sleep it off, usually.

The replacement tablet is called Lonarid. Just remembered - but its getting harder to get hold of and now requires a Doctor's prescription.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
I had really horrible recurring headaches for about nine months, a couple of years ago. Not migraines, according to the doctor, but nonetheless, they were nasty, and exacerbated by a cyst growing in my sinuses.

Yunno what helped better than any pill?

[Image: post-420400-1368707794261.jpg]
(February 1, 2014 at 5:20 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: I'd love to read that thesis!

Unfortunately I have to write it in Swedish, but I can translate it, if you're interested. The thesis will be a literary overview of prophylactic pharmacological migraine treatment. Big Grin

(February 1, 2014 at 5:40 am)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: [Image: post-420400-1368707794261.jpg]

Though it's good for most pains, it does not work against migraine (or do someone have a study regarding this?) Sad
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Trying 5-HTP as preventive treatment. Just had another one, took tramadol+tylenol+metamizole+coffee and it's gone for now.
[Image: Untitled_1.jpg]
Re: RE: Migraine Remedy Question
(February 1, 2014 at 5:40 am)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: I had really horrible recurring headaches for about nine months, a couple of years ago. Not migraines, according to the doctor, but nonetheless, they were nasty, and exacerbated by a cyst growing in my sinuses.

Yunno what helped better than any pill?

[Image: post-420400-1368707794261.jpg]

Forgive my ignorance but what is this?
Magic mushrooms, or psilocybin containing plants are a 100% guarantee to getting rid of migraines for prolonged periods of time to permanently. There was a study done in another country in northern Europe which showed people with migraines and cluster headaches received 3 months of clarity from their ailment, or a permanent one from just one trip. They are currently is the trials of creating pills that will duplicate these results without the hallucinogenic effects. I do not condone or endorse using this substance, but I know scientifically and through personal experience they help.
Try willow bark tea
(February 15, 2014 at 6:50 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Try willow bark tea

Acetylsalicylic acid? Why not take an Aspirin instead? Wink

(February 15, 2014 at 2:51 pm)KUSA Wrote: Forgive my ignorance but what is this?

It looks like MJ to me.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I've never had a migraine. My sympathies. I've known people who did and it looks like sheer hell.