Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 3:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My reversion to Islam (believe in Quran again)
RE: My reversion to Islam (believe in Quran again)
(March 30, 2014 at 12:56 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Religion is very horrible but is so is lack of religion.

False. I know of not a single violent act that was ever perpetrated in the name of atheism.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 30, 2014 at 1:01 pm)Kitanetos Wrote:
(March 30, 2014 at 12:56 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Religion is very horrible but is so is lack of religion.
I know of not a single violent act that was ever perpetrated in the name of atheism.

Your point?
(March 30, 2014 at 1:10 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Your point?

Was quite clear.
~ Erin Hunter
(March 30, 2014 at 1:01 pm)Kitanetos Wrote:

False. I know of not a single violent act that was ever perpetrated in the name of atheism.

What, like "I claim nothing motivated me to do that!"

Yeah I get you Dodgy
If one thing is horrible, its absence should make a situation better, like removing a tumor from the human body. What you're suggesting, MK, is that a world with and without religion is a bad thing...you can't have your cake and eat it too.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
If it was the case that humanity united upon the truth without need of God intervening, rose for justice, were good to one another, united, followed wisdom, and our humanity was the true religion, I don't think God would need to send revelations. But as humanity makes up religions, divides upon them, follows ignorance often, and is divided, the world has religion. Living in such a world while you as an individual follow no religion is just as bad as following an individual religion.
(March 30, 2014 at 1:24 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: If it was the case that humanity united upon the truth without need of God intervening, rose for justice, were good to one another, united, followed wisdom, and our humanity was the true religion, I don't think God would need to send revelations.

He does not, though. Man who thinks he is receiving a divine revelation is merely delusional.

(March 30, 2014 at 1:24 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: But as humanity makes up religions, divides upon them, follows ignorance often, and is divided, the world has religion. Living in such a world while you as an individual follow no religion is just as bad as following an individual religion.

Please elaborate on that and explain in concise detail precisely how that is remotely true.

Especially, when statistics show that people who follow a secular, humanistic worldview tend to be law abiding citizens and more moral than their religious counterparts. After all, the concept of religion entitles theists to believe that their bad behavior is rewarded by a deity that accepts it as perfectly legitimate.
~ Erin Hunter
(March 30, 2014 at 1:10 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(March 30, 2014 at 1:01 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: I know of not a single violent act that was ever perpetrated in the name of atheism.

Your point?

Many commit heinous acts in the name of their religion, had religion not existed, we might not have seen such acts. My view in these cases is that mankind will always have within it, depravity. Depraved people who consider themselves religious often lean towards the radical end of things, and then use/abuse their religion as a scapegoat for their misdeeds. Not all religious people are depraved obviously, but it stands to reason that heinous acts carried out in the name of religion might not happen as frequently if religion simply didn't exist.

Take the case of people who refuse medical treatment for their children because their religion forbids it. This is wrong on a number of levels but it gives an abusive parent a way out. Religion is often used in this manner from small scale cases like this to larger ones. If it didn't exist, people wouldn't be able to shield their depravity with it.
(March 30, 2014 at 12:59 pm)Bad Writer Wrote:

Contradictory statement.

It's not contradictory. It's merely the insight that the world ia horrible either way Big Grin
We should however pay attention to the fine print. Which is horribler? And,the first and last concern of every serious thinker: is it true?

Why is this important? Because, as any first year student of logic can tell you, anything can be derived from a false statement, including the most poisonous ideas.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 30, 2014 at 1:26 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: Please elaborate on that and explain in concise detail precisely how that is remotely true.

Well for one thing you are just as frustrated about false religions as people claiming to follow the one true religion. You are just as frustrated by the evils of this world with no way of solving it. You can work for good of this world by following a religion or by being secular, but at the end, you can't bring about all goodness in this world. Wars continue due to nationalism and other reasons. Your moral views are just one the many views out there just as in the case if you followed a religion. But the main point was religions and differences don't cease to exist if we don't as individuals believe in religion. People will still be intolerant towards us etc....

(March 30, 2014 at 1:29 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(March 30, 2014 at 12:59 pm)Bad Writer Wrote: Contradictory statement.

It's not contradictory. It's merely the insight that the world ia horrible either way Big Grin

Yeah. This world is a trial whether you believed it's been designed to be that or not. It tests our will either way.

(March 30, 2014 at 1:28 pm)Deidre32 Wrote:
(March 30, 2014 at 1:10 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Your point?

Many commit heinous acts in the name of their religion, had religion not existed, we might not have seen such acts. My view in these cases is that mankind will always have within it, depravity. Depraved people who consider themselves religious often lean towards the radical end of things, and then use/abuse their religion as a scapegoat for their misdeeds. Not all religious people are depraved obviously, but it stands to reason that heinous acts carried out in the name of religion might not happen as frequently if religion simply didn't exist.

Take the case of people who refuse medical treatment for their children because their religion forbids it. This is wrong on a number of levels but it gives an abusive parent a way out. Religion is often used in this manner from small scale cases like this to larger ones. If it didn't exist, people wouldn't be able to shield their depravity with it.

But people are going to create false religions as you say. It's a problem with humanity. So why would it be illogical for God to remind us of our humanity and create a true religion in midst of that?

I think we both agree religion is a problem and the way humanity uses it is a problem. That is why I believe we need some help from God.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the Quran support Theocracy? Leonardo17 89 4467 May 1, 2024 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  New Controversies around the Desecration of the Quran Leonardo17 100 9969 August 20, 2023 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Quran and Hadiths annatar 34 20822 October 11, 2022 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  "Nas" is probably my favorite arabic word in the Quran Woah0 22 1528 August 22, 2022 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  [Quranic reflection]: The Big Bang theory in the Quran. WinterHold 62 4803 June 14, 2022 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How I'd Reveal the Quran To Humanity ReptilianPeon 23 3113 May 11, 2022 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Cavalry
  2-big bang theory in the Quran mo3taz3nbar 108 49392 April 3, 2022 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Quranic Reflection]: Quran vs Hadith- why the Hadith is false WinterHold 176 14067 January 15, 2022 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Quranic Reflection]: On reading the Quran.. WinterHold 1 906 July 24, 2021 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Quranic Reflection]: moon absorbed by the sun in the Quran: far future. WinterHold 253 16763 December 18, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: polymath257