Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 6, 2024, 11:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Argument #1: Transitional Fossils
RE: Argument #1: Transitional Fossils
(May 3, 2014 at 9:18 am)Revelation777 Wrote: Tell that to Ben Stein.

Ben Stein who quote mined Darwin, who misrepresented the content of his film to the atheists he interviewed, and whose film led to one of the biggest creationist quote mines ever, with his "Dawkins believes life came from aliens" crap? Thinking

Because all that dishonesty is objectively true too, if you would bother to do any research into the background of this stuff before you assume it to be factual.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(May 3, 2014 at 9:18 am)Revelation777 Wrote: Tell that to Ben Stein.

Another liar you believe. What a shock.

Dawkins and the other scientists involved were mislead about everything about the movie, from the title (the title they were given was “Crossroads: The Intersection of Science and Religion.”, to the subject matter.

Dawkins was interviewed for over 90 minutes, only about 9 minutes were used in the movie. And almost every one of those minutes was a quote mine.

How sad for you that your religion has destroyed your natural sense of curiosity that humans are innately born with. There's a huge world of facts and wonder to discover beyond your belief in a puny desert tribal war god.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Who is Ben stein?
(May 3, 2014 at 12:41 pm)Chuck Wrote: Who is Ben stein?

Ben Stein is a lawyer, actor, conservative commentator.

He used to be Richard Nixon's speech writer.

He does voice work in tons of animated movies, but probably best known for his role in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

His primary gripe against evolution is that he thinks it lead to the Holocaust. Seriously.

He made a dishonest anti-science movie a few years ago called "Expelled" where he dishonestly claims that any scientist that challenges evolution get ousted from universities.

He's very intelligent, but drastically mislead.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
That resume if anything reduces his credibility on any scientific issue below its nominal default value of zero.
Ben Stein is openly against science, for some very weird personal reasons:

Quote:Stein: When we just saw that man, I think it was Mr. Myers [biologist P.Z. Myers], talking about how great scientists were, I was thinking to myself the last time any of my relatives saw scientists telling them what to do they were telling them to go to the showers to get gassed … that was horrifying beyond words, and that’s where science – in my opinion, this is just an opinion – that’s where science leads you.
Crouch: That’s right.

Stein: …Love of God and compassion and empathy leads you to a very glorious place, and science leads you to killing people.

Crouch: Good word, good word.

http://boingboing.net/2008/05/01/ben-ste...ce-le.html

So, he's not even close to a good source for anything science-related. He has no qualms lying to undermine science, because he thinks it kills people.

He also believes there is a media conspiracy to protect Islam, and the apocalypse is at hand:
Quote:… I awakened to a text from a close friend who is a devout Christian and who was so angry at the elite media that she could not sleep. “I am so frikkin’ sick of the media telling us that Islam is a ‘religion of peace,’” she said. “Look, people make fun of Jesus all of the time and I mean ALL of the time and we don’t kill them or harm them. But do anything at all that offends any Muslim and they start killing Christians and Jews — and then Obama apologizes for it. How long can this go on? The times of Tribulation are at hand.”
I got up, walked out on the deck and looked out at the perfect fall day over Lake Pendoreille. An absolutely perfect Fall day, blue skies, light breeze, just a slight chill in the air.
At breakfast, my wife suddenly said, “And then I beheld a red horse ridden by a man with a great sword….”
“What is that?” I asked her.
“It’s Revelation,” she said.
“I know, but where does that come from?”
“I just feel as if something big is about to happen,” she said. “Something feels like we’re about to live in a totally changed world. It feels like end times. Why are we apologizing to the Muslims? They’re killing and expelling their Christians and we don’t say a word. End times.”
I nodded. There is that feeling in the air….

-Ben Stein

- See more at: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unreasonabl...Lk3uO.dpuf
He finds time to annoy the right, on occasion:
[Image: benstein500.jpg]

Quote:"… I awakened to a text from a close friend who is a devout Christian and who was so angry at the elite media that she could not sleep. “I am so frikkin’ sick of the media telling us that Islam is a ‘religion of peace,’” she said. “Look, people make fun of Jesus all of the time and I mean ALL of the time and we don’t kill them or harm them."
She forgot to add "anymore."
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
She forgot to mention they are being prevented from doing so by the enlightenment which they are still trying to undermine.
(May 3, 2014 at 3:20 pm)Chuck Wrote: She forgot to mention they are being prevented from doing so by the enlightenment which they are still trying to undermine.

Ben is upset the NY Times doesn't refer to Jesus more often by full title:

Quote:whenever the New York Times refers to Mohammed, they always call him, without quotation marks, The Prophet Mohammed, as if everyone with any sense understands that OF COURSE Mohammed is The One True Prophet and that it's just understood that Mohammed is The Prophet....

Have you ever seen any major newspaper here in the USA refer to Jesus Christ as "The Son of God, God Incarnate, The Lord Jesus Christ"?

http://nomoremister.blogspot.com/2012/09...s.html?m=1

The claim is debunked in the article.

Interestingly, I'm not sure what news articles the NY Times would be running on Jesus, unless Ben thinks he's back already.
The full title would be:

Son of a lying strumpets, illegitimate son of unknown father, failed carpenter, megalomanic, misfit, sectarian seditionist, convicted criminal.