Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 12:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello
Hello. Im pleased to be here. I used to be an atheistic Humanist...and now.....Im wondering if I should get back into it.
RE: Hello
Hello, there.

Well it's certainly easy enough. Just don't start believing in childish fairy tales and you're good to go!
Welcome!

Get back into what? atheistic humanism? Then what are you now?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome

What was the reason you "left" humanism in the first place?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(January 23, 2015 at 12:28 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Welcome

The atheistic worldview of materialism and naturalism accounting for all we have including non-material entities we occupy as human beings ; the problem of the animate coming from the inanimate. Has any emphirical scientific evidence come about that now addresses this adequately ? Theres a few other reasons that lead me away from Humanism on a more sociological level . Im open though and would put my Humanist T-shirt back on if credibility in it were restored for me.

(January 23, 2015 at 12:27 pm)Alex K Wrote: Welcome!

Right now, id say : Seeker / Skeptic
Welcome Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 23, 2015 at 12:48 pm)Former Humanist Wrote:
(January 23, 2015 at 12:28 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Welcome

The atheistic worldview of materialism and naturalism accounting for all we have including non-material entities we occupy as human beings ; the problem of the animate coming from the inanimate. Has any emphirical scientific evidence come about that now addresses this adequately ? Theres a few other reasons that lead me away from Humanism on a more sociological level . Im open though and would put my Humanist T-shirt back on if credibility in it were restored for me.

(January 23, 2015 at 12:27 pm)Alex K Wrote: Welcome!

Right now, id say : Seeker / Skeptic

"Atheist" is not a worldview. It is a position. the off position on god claims. It is not a political party, loyalty oath, or religion.

And science is not label dependent in any case. Saying that we have no god belief is not advocating we act like robots with no emotions. Science is science and all science says is that myth and god claims and superstition are never a way to observe reality. It does not mean we devalue life or oppress others. It merely means we accept reality.

Atheists do not always agree on things. Some atheists value Ayn Rand "fuck you I got mine" economics, which I am no fan of. While other atheists value Che, who lead to the fascist state of Cuba. I am no fan of Che economics either.

The only thing atheists have in common is the "off " position on god claims. Accepting we are finite does not make us a gang or club or political party.
Hey, welcome!
I look forward to seeing you further explain your point of view in the forums.

Until then, what would the "non-material" entities be? And what would be the difference between the animate and the inanimate?
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
(January 23, 2015 at 12:48 pm)Former Humanist Wrote: The atheistic worldview of materialism and naturalism accounting for all we have including non-material entities we occupy as human beings ; the problem of the animate coming from the inanimate. Has any emphirical scientific evidence come about that now addresses this adequately ? Theres a few other reasons that lead me away from Humanism on a more sociological level . Im open though and would put my Humanist T-shirt back on if credibility in it were restored for me.

Just a quick refresher course, as it seems like you've been reading about atheism on Conservapaedia.

Atheism = lack of belief in god(s). Nothing more. There's no such thing as an "atheistic worldview." You can not believe the god claims and have any worldview you want.

And could you expand on the idea of "non-material entities we occupy as human beings?" Are you talking about a soul? Ghosts? Chakra? What makes you think that there are non-material entities at work in the world?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
If I can't cut it in half with my chainsaw, then it's not scientific.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 6530 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3868 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates