Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 7, 2024, 7:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If
RE: If
(January 28, 2015 at 3:56 am)Riketto Wrote: After talking and talking about the wonder of the brain you guys have still to produce evidence that the consciousness is a product of the brain.
Seriously? That's your response? When it's been clearly stated, time and again, that the only evidence in existence shows that consciousness is a property of brains? Do you even know how to Google?

Check out the research done on the Integrated Information Theory of Consciousness; see the work that INSERM have done; read up on what happens when different parts of the brain are damaged or the work that neurologists have done with stroke victims.

If you have any doubts that consciousness is an operation of the brain, once you grow to understand that there is no evidence to the contrary, you're ignoring the simple facts of the matter.
Sum ergo sum
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that he'll handwave your evidence while explaining that he doesn't need to provide evidence for his claims, because NDEs! Wash, rinse, repeat.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(January 28, 2015 at 8:14 am)Tonus Wrote: I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that he'll handwave your evidence while explaining that he doesn't need to provide evidence for his claims, because NDEs! Wash, rinse, repeat.

No, he's going to claim all the scientist are biased because they didn't take into account the spirit world. Hense, they're findings are wrong independent of how well they explain the observations.
You can look at the informations that you get from the net and you will find countless of so called evidence for one or the other point but you also find that this so called evidence is later on proved wrong by the so called counter evidence.
I would like to put the issue in a more simple way.
Every single time you want to start any thinking YOU must first give the order to your brain to deliver the goods so to speak.
Your brain like the hardware of the computer is idle UNTIL you decided to make the move so how the hell can the brain be above the I?
And if the I is above the brain how the hell can the brain create or be superior to the consciousness?
Never thought about it, do you?
Once again the old granny was correct and you guys should follow her advise......IS NEVER TOO LATE TO LEARN. SmileConfused FallSmile
The brain is never idle.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
With the exception of one.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(January 29, 2015 at 6:30 am)Tonus Wrote: The brain is never idle.

You guys got very big expectations.
Instead starting from the basic or beginning you start from the top but in reality top is not.
It is just an illusion.
The basic is the foundation so without any foundation the top can not exist.
Have you ever seen a building suspended in the air with no foundation?
Actually i believe that you have seen that but unfortunately was in your dreams only. ROFLOL

What is the basic?
The basic is to understand what come first so what come first other than the I that decided to start the action of thinking or to do any action.
Have you ever seen a car that move without a driver?
Unless of course the idiot driver left the car downhill without the brakes or program the car to move.
But again the car like the brain are not the driver or the I so it is obvious that the two are separate entities.
Once you understand this simple concept we can move along towards more complicated issue but only then.
In the meantime stop for a while trying to understand things that only come after the basic.
Have a good day. SmileTigerSmile

(January 29, 2015 at 10:38 am)Stimbo Wrote: With the exception of one.

I will never stop thanking you again and again for let yourself down to this low caste skeptic forum.
I always think that you as an high caste person should only write in the philosophy forum so when you allow yourself down here i always jump in the air in joy.
Don't think i forgot about the Kudos that i promise you.
I just keep them ready for you.
Just tell me and i will shower you with an abundance of kudos.
The very best regards from your ex mate. Worship (large)TigerWorship (large)
(January 28, 2015 at 8:14 am)Tonus Wrote: I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that he'll handwave your evidence while explaining that he doesn't need to provide evidence for his claims, because NDEs! Wash, rinse, repeat.
I was wrong, he went full non-sequitur.

(January 30, 2015 at 6:56 am)Riketto Wrote: You guys got very big expectations.
It's not an expectation. Just a fact.

-Stephen Jay Gould
(January 30, 2015 at 6:56 am)Riketto Wrote: I will never stop thanking you again and again for let yourself down to this low caste skeptic forum.

Don't thank me. It's my job to wade through shit like this.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(January 30, 2015 at 8:44 am)Tonus Wrote: It's not an expectation. Just a fact.

Tell me, tell me Tonus what suppose to be a fact? Smile
It just make think about the mountain of rubbish at the tip.
In the past people were convinced that what today is rubbish they were real facts but the history of this limited world can be very cruel.
Anything made of matter sooner or later end up in the rubbish bin of history. ArrgghhDiabloArrgghh

(January 30, 2015 at 5:05 pm)Stimbo Wrote:
(January 30, 2015 at 6:56 am)Riketto Wrote: I will never stop thanking you again and again for let yourself down to this low caste skeptic forum.

Don't thank me. It's my job to wade through shit like this.

First of all let me congratulate for your promotion to administrator.
It really was a good choice considering how intelligent you are.
By the way Stim i still can not sleep at night thinking whether the consciousness die when the body die?
Do you have any evidence that all the package of body-mind and consciousness goes to the dogs?
Please Stim try to help your ex-mate in trouble.
Regards from the little Rik. HiI'm all ears!Hi

(January 29, 2015 at 6:30 am)Tonus Wrote: The brain is never idle.

Why not Ton?
Well, well also a car can be idle.
The driver may started the engine but again it is when the driver put the car into gear and push the accelerator that the car can move.
The brain may well be alive but in an idle situation UNTIL the I decide to use it.
So again it is the I that decide what to do not the brain.
You never thought about it, did you Ton? Smile