Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 7, 2024, 7:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If
RE: If
(February 9, 2015 at 3:15 am)Riketto Wrote: In this case that person can well be happy with what he-she got.
Actually i never ever seen anyone happy with what they got that is why i don't believe them. Smile
Sounds like you need to get out and meet more people.
Riketto Wrote:But don't despair Ton sooner or later you like everybody else will come to the conclusion that real progress has nothing to do with this physical dimension. Smile
So... no one can be happy with what they have, and we're all going to end up going crazy? You have a pretty depressing outlook on life, Rik.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(February 9, 2015 at 3:15 am)Riketto Wrote:
(February 8, 2015 at 12:35 pm)Surgenator Wrote: You wouldn't see it no matter how many times I show it. You don't reflect on what people have said to you in any meaningful way. You're responses are just reactionary, no deep thinking involved.

Perfect.
Just as i already knew.
You are just like that guy that boost himself high and then when the time come to show the goods he says that he got them But they will come at the later time or that you wouldn't understand them so he wouldn't show them.

Projection is a bitch.
(February 9, 2015 at 3:15 am)Riketto Wrote:
(February 8, 2015 at 12:40 pm)whateverist Wrote: I think he just found it ridiculous that you would think analogies to horses, carts and chickens was a decisive demonstration that the situation in question was simple. Your unsupported claim was as simple as it was strange. But you've persuaded no one that consciousness, mind/body or personal identity are so simple as you say.

And the unsupported claim is? Thinking

Where to begin .. how about we start with your claim that consciousness is anything like a cart pulled by barnyard animals. Everyone knows it's turtles all the way down. Has this theory even been peer reviewed by the board of intuition scientists?
(February 9, 2015 at 3:15 am)Riketto Wrote: If you don't agree with it then you may say that body and mind is all a human being needs and i can understand that, after all not everybody consciousness reach the stage in which the need for total peace of mind emerge.

Do you have total peace of mind? Permanently?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 19, 2014 at 9:09 am)Riketto Wrote: 1) Would you say.........oh, well there was no evidence that you existed that is why i never believe that you exist.
2) I was wrong in not looking at all options.
3) I never thought that by refusing to consider that you exist i could not expect that you manifest in my consciousness.

Certainly not #3, because I can't make it scan. After multiple readings, I still find it opaque. So I wouldn't say that, because I try to be lucid.

Not #2, because I haven't done anything wrong.

So #1 is closest. But there'd be no reason to talk that way. If you meet a new person that you've never heard of, maybe Jane Smith from Saratoga, you say something like, "Hello, I'm George, I like soccer, stuffed pork chops, and telling terrible jokes." I have never greeted anyone by saying, "I didn't believe in you because I didn't know you existed."

I know that the standard Christian god doesn't exist, so this god wouldn't be him. She'd be someone else, someone I haven't heard of, someone I'd be curious about. I'd be friendly and inquisitive.
(February 9, 2015 at 6:28 am)Tonus Wrote:
(February 9, 2015 at 3:15 am)Riketto Wrote: In this case that person can well be happy with what he-she got.
Actually i never ever seen anyone happy with what they got that is why i don't believe them. Smile
Sounds like you need to get out and meet more people.
Riketto Wrote:But don't despair Ton sooner or later you like everybody else will come to the conclusion that real progress has nothing to do with this physical dimension. Smile
So... no one can be happy with what they have, and we're all going to end up going crazy? You have a pretty depressing outlook on life, Rik.

You try to be a good detective but you don't seem that you are a good one Ton.
I hope you are not one or that you are not a psychologist as well.
It would be a disaster if you are one.
It doesn't take much to understand that while human desire for total happiness and peace of mind goes well behind this FINITE reality.
How can something FINITE give something INFINITE?
You never thought of it Ton, did you? Smile
(February 10, 2015 at 6:12 am)Riketto Wrote: It doesn't take much to understand that while human desire for total happiness and peace of mind goes well behind this FINITE reality.
Of course I never thought of it, because it's nonsense. The mind does not "give something infinite." It just imagines things. All of your crackpot claims, for example. Your intellect is FINITE, yet your penchant for the absurd is INFINITE. I guess that's the closest we will get to reaching your level of understanding.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(February 9, 2015 at 9:23 pm)whateverist Wrote:
(February 9, 2015 at 3:15 am)Riketto Wrote: And the unsupported claim is? Thinking

Where to begin .. how about we start with your claim that consciousness is anything like a cart pulled by barnyard animals. Everyone knows it's turtles all the way down. Has this theory even been peer reviewed by the board of intuition scientists?

Has ever the board of scientists practice intuitional science?
Not that i know, so how the hell can they understand what is outside their competence? Thinking

(February 10, 2015 at 6:16 am)Tonus Wrote:
(February 10, 2015 at 6:12 am)Riketto Wrote: It doesn't take much to understand that while human desire for total happiness and peace of mind goes well behind this FINITE reality.
Of course I never thought of it, because it's nonsense. The mind does not "give something infinite." It just imagines things. All of your crackpot claims, for example. Your intellect is FINITE, yet your penchant for the absurd is INFINITE. I guess that's the closest we will get to reaching your level of understanding.

Here is where you fail badly Ton.
The intellect is something flexible and open to learning and to progress or the opposite which is to forget and to lower the consciousness.
The consciousness is infinite but it is in a seed (pineal gland).
When the seed is given the right condition for sprouting then it will given out more consciousness and the intellect will be able to carry this new amount of knowledge.
It is rather the EXTERNAL world that is FINITE not the internal.
The old saying is valid once again...........IF YOU WANT TO KNOW ALL YOU MUST FIRST KNOW YOURSELF.....because the real knowledge is INTERNAL and INFINITE. Smile
(February 10, 2015 at 6:17 am)Riketto Wrote:
(February 9, 2015 at 9:23 pm)whateverist Wrote: Where to begin .. how about we start with your claim that consciousness is anything like a cart pulled by barnyard animals. Everyone knows it's turtles all the way down. Has this theory even been peer reviewed by the board of intuition scientists?

Has ever the board of scientists practice intuitional science?
Not that i know, so how the hell can they understand what is outside their competence? Thinking

I didn't mean real scientists. I meant intuitional science, your kind. Hey wait a minute. Is intuitional science really a thing or did you just make that up? If they do exist, do they at least engage in peer review to keep standards up?
(February 10, 2015 at 6:17 am)Riketto Wrote: The consciousness is infinite but it is in a seed (pineal gland).
Again, this is nonsense. You have nothing that tells you that consciousness is infinite. And saying that "it is in a seed (pineal gland)" is just as useful as saying that "it's red with blue stripes (and also invisible)." If you want to venture into "intuitional science" then be aware that we can both play that game and take this thread to it's only possible conclusion. Ready?

-Stephen Jay Gould