Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 18, 2024, 8:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AF Get-Togethers
RE: AF Get-Togethers
(March 13, 2015 at 7:24 pm)whateverist Wrote: Yeah, I know. Going for the pun more than anything else here. Have you ever thumbed through that magazine or flyer called "Climbing accidents of the Yosemite"? It is pretty disquieting to read about all the times seasoned climbers will clip onto the wrong line and begin a rappel down a climb only to find themselves hooked into nothing of any consequence and falling to their doom.

Oh yeah, there is actually a book called 'Death in Yosemite' which covers every death that happened there. You realize way more people have died from stoves exploding or they tripped on a trail and tumbled off a waterfall than from climbing. The worst one was a little boy who got stomped to death by a deer after his dad gave him cheetos to feed the deer for a photo.

Note: Bears have never killed a single person in Yosemite.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
I'm sure the number that die in car accidents coming or leaving Yosemite is also a much bigger number. But when you read about the climbing deaths you don't get a lot of reassurance that it is only the incompetent that perish.
(March 16, 2015 at 6:46 pm)whateverist Wrote: I'm sure the number that die in car accidents coming or leaving Yosemite is also a much bigger number. But when you read about the climbing deaths you don't get a lot of reassurance that it is only the incompetent that perish.

I actually knew someone who died in Yosemite climbing (from rock fall). I would never say that climbing is a safe sport. I would only say that it can be a totally safe sport. On that note I'm off to scrounge up a climbing partner and do some very safe sport climbing here in the Blue Mountains of Australia.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(March 16, 2015 at 7:25 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(March 16, 2015 at 6:46 pm)whateverist Wrote: I'm sure the number that die in car accidents coming or leaving Yosemite is also a much bigger number. But when you read about the climbing deaths you don't get a lot of reassurance that it is only the incompetent that perish.

I actually knew someone who died in Yosemite climbing (from rock fall). I would never say that climbing is a safe sport. I would only say that it can be a totally safe sport. On that note I'm off to scrounge up a climbing partner and do some very safe sport climbing here in the Blue Mountains of Australia.

Dude, post pics, start a thread -- that would be great! Have fun and be safe.

The only climb I've done in Yosemite valley, not counting climbing up the notch to swim in the pools above Bridalveil Falls, is Royal Arches .. and I followed that one. Loved it and always liked scrambling around on rocks and in caves. Of course it is dangerous but that isn't a reason to avoid it, if you're sure you understand what you're doing and what you're capable of. Enjoy yourself.
I'm in South Central Pennsylvania. I'm an hour from Baltimore and 35 minutes from Harrisburg. I'll be down in Daytona from April 24th to the 30th. If anyone is interested in meeting up.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
...I'm still in Poland, if anyone wants to come by :p
(March 6, 2015 at 11:19 pm)whateverist Wrote: Watch your back, mate. Pretty much anything you don't throw on the barbie is likely to bite you, sting you and/or kill you.
And not necessarily in that order, either.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(March 27, 2015 at 10:10 am)Tonus Wrote:
(March 6, 2015 at 11:19 pm)whateverist Wrote: Watch your back, mate. Pretty much anything you don't throw on the barbie is likely to bite you, sting you and/or kill you.
And not necessarily in that order, either.

I'm particularly afraid of Drop-bears
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Looking like my trip to SoCal will shape up to be 6 June to 13 June, if anyone's interested.