Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 3:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(western) classical music discussion
RE: (western) classical music discussion
(May 18, 2015 at 2:19 am)Alex K Wrote:
(May 18, 2015 at 2:14 am)abentwookie Wrote: I have enjoyed classical since I learned to play Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata on the piano.

Cool! So what's your favourite Beethoven?

Wow, that is a really difficult question to answer. I am not really sure about my favorite but I love the Sonatas. I think the Waldstein may be my favorite. It was the most challenging to learn so I spent a lot of time practicing that one.  
Big Grin

Some other pieces would be No. 14 in C-sharp minor (Moonlight Sonata), No. 15 in D major (Pastoral), No. 32 in C minor (Arietta), No. 17 in D minor (Tempest) and No. 4 in E-flat major (Grand Sonata). Other than the Sonatas, I would have to include Fur Elise, Rondo a Capriccio, Eroica Variations and The Creatures of Prometheus Overture.

EDIT: Oh, I also forgot the Rasumovsky string quartet.
I can only salute you for being able to play any of this. I plan to renew some of my withered piano skills as soon as work permits, but I am years away from playing such material.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Wookie - I've played around with the Waldstein over the years - just love the beginning ostinato-type chords - but later, it's very difficult.

What kind of piano do you have?
(May 18, 2015 at 2:19 am)Alex K Wrote: Cool! So what's your favourite Beethoven?

7th Symphony
(May 20, 2015 at 1:50 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(May 18, 2015 at 2:19 am)Alex K Wrote: Cool! So what's your favourite Beethoven?

7th Symphony

Another fun 7th fact - no slow movement, even though the 2nd functions as a slow movement.

I haven't checked, but it's probably the only Beethoven symphony without a "proper" slow movement; allegretto not being particularly slow.

But all you godless geniuses were no doubt already aware of this.
(May 20, 2015 at 1:50 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

7th Symphony

Good choice.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I keep going back to the 1st symphony... Sorry, it's beautiful
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

re the 7th
After the melancholy beginning of the 2nd movement, I would have thought another entire slow movement a bit too much anyhow.

Checking the symphonies, I notice that almost all the others have a slow movement (some are mixed with andante etc), but the 8th only has a "Tempo Menuetto", I don't think that is classified as slow either, no?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdFseJ3R3Ig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGsvh6ZQFxM

Can't get enough of art of fugue

(May 20, 2015 at 2:30 pm)Alex K Wrote: re the 7th
After the melancholy beginning of the 2nd movement, I would have thought another entire slow movement a bit too much anyhow.

Checking the symphonies, I notice that almost all the others have a slow movement (some are mixed with andante etc), but the 8th only has a "Tempo Menuetto", I don't think that is classified as slow either, no?

For the 8th Tempo Menuetto, I see a tempo indication of 1/4 note=126 so, definitely not slow. Thanks for pointing that out. I had thought the 7th was unique in that respect.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for country music singers similar to Alan Jackson rado84 5 891 July 31, 2023 at 10:27 am
Last Post: rado84
  Christian music you actually like? JairCrawford 31 3573 June 17, 2022 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  New Ahem Music Istvan 1 487 March 20, 2022 at 3:39 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New music, Old music Ahriman 79 8300 November 5, 2021 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Listening to music popeyespappy 35 4459 September 27, 2021 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Music Composition FlatAssembler 1 311 May 22, 2020 at 3:08 pm
  Carrie fans and country music. Brian37 13 1557 May 16, 2020 at 8:54 pm
  My new favorite song of all time excluding classical music Alex K 1 632 January 26, 2020 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Never a flash in the pan. MUSIC. Brian37 19 2028 December 7, 2019 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: no one
  Music videos that rep the POTUS'S idiocy. Brian37 9 1942 October 22, 2019 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah