Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 21, 2024, 1:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why be good?
RE: Why be good?
(May 27, 2015 at 3:22 pm)wallym Wrote:
(May 27, 2015 at 3:15 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I'd be willing to bet that morality is an emergent property of in-group/out-group dynamics, arising as it did because it help cement in-group cohesion so that a given group could compete successfully for resources. I don't know that to be the fact, but that would be my guess.

Again, so it's not really morality.  It's practical behavior we've misidentified.  The problem being when the practical behavior is no longer practical for someone, they no longer have a reason to participate in the behavior.

Simply because it's practically rooted doesn't mean it is not morality. I'd suggest you read the link that Cato took the time to post.

Death by gossip? That would make for a great tombstone.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(May 27, 2015 at 3:54 pm)wallym Wrote: This is fair. The key point I'm making is that Me > Not me for a vast majority of not me's.

Much of human life is about balancing selfishness and altruism. Both are innate human drives.

(May 27, 2015 at 4:06 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I can't be arsed to go through nine pages, but I have to say this.  Every time someone asks, "Why be good without God?" I hear the person saying, "I only do good for a reward."

Hello. I'm a raving psychopath. I'd usually be busy killing everyone, but God stops me from doing so. Therefore, morality. Checkmate, atheists!

The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(May 27, 2015 at 4:22 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 26, 2015 at 7:29 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: If there is no God, then there is no hell; and if there is no hell, then there are no ultimate, eternal repercussions, good or bad, for how we live out our mortal lives. Of course, atheists insist that people should be "good without God."

But why? If God does not exist, why be good?

Why does my cat preen my dog's fur? Why do army ants work together to build nests? Because life evolved to cooperate. Now while evolution in reality does not care if cruelty or compassion, cooperation or force win, our species like other mammals also evolved with empathy. 

Why do I behave? Because I have empathy and everyone is capable of that and you don't need an antiquated book or an invisible sky hero to know what empathy is. 

If you cannot figure out on your own without a cosmic security guard threatening you to behave I feel sorry for you. You also don't need to believe in Santa as an adult to be good.

The problem with religious morality is that the empathy gets limited to the tribe and is not universal and only designed to get attention for the head figure. Better morality is doing the right thing even without being told what to do. 

I like how you're a bit dick'ish to theists in literally the same sentence about how you behave because you're so empathetic.  

If I were guessing why people behave, it's because that's what we were taught, and we don't put too much more thought into it because we don't really need to.
(May 27, 2015 at 3:54 pm)wallym Wrote: This is fair. The key point I'm making is that Me > Not me for a vast majority of not me's.

You seem to be ignoring our evolutionary past in your calculation. 

When our ancestors lived in small groups or 50-150 (most of our history), there was a bit more emphasis on altruism, reciprocity, kin selection. And every member knew everyone else.

A member of a group, while their own survival was paramount to them, they could not get away with treating the other members of the group as if they did not matter. If so, they risked being ejected from the group. Which would mean almost certain death. We are a social species after all.

Those evolutionary traits are part of our nature. They are driving force that causes us to be moral agents. 

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(May 26, 2015 at 7:29 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: If there is no God, then there is no hell; and if there is no hell, then there are no ultimate, eternal repercussions, good or bad, for how we live out our mortal lives.

There you go. See? That wasn't so hard.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 26, 2015 at 7:34 pm)Dystopia Wrote: Define good and evil and then we can talk about it Wink

You have a point.

Terms such as "good" and "evil" would be essentially meaningless in any absolute sense because, if God does not exist and there is no transcendent moral law revealed by God which prescribes how we should act, one cannot say that a given action is good or evil. It just is what it is.

One may not like or approve of a particular action, such as murder or theft, but it would be impossible to deem it "evil" in any sense beyond one’s own subjective, personal preferences.

(May 26, 2015 at 7:37 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: Look, it's really simple: just because we don't subscribe to your particular mythology does not imply we lack empathy for fellow humans. That's stupid.

Yes, I agree. See my post #40 for that.
(May 27, 2015 at 7:53 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(May 26, 2015 at 7:34 pm)Dystopia Wrote: Define good and evil and then we can talk about it Wink

You have a point.

Terms such as "good" and "evil" would be essentially meaningless in any absolute sense because, if God does not exist and there is no transcendent moral law revealed by God which prescribes how we should act, one cannot say that a given action is good or evil. It just is what it is.

One may not like or approve of a particular action, such as murder or theft, but it would be impossible to deem it "evil" in any sense beyond one’s own subjective, personal preferences.

(May 26, 2015 at 7:37 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: Look, it's really simple: just because we don't subscribe to your particular mythology does not imply we lack empathy for fellow humans. That's stupid.

Yes, I agree. See my post #40 for that.
*Squints*
Are you...are you starting to figure it out? Holy crap, I think he's starting to figure it out!
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(May 27, 2015 at 5:33 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(May 27, 2015 at 4:49 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Yes, Huggy, there are no people who've never committed at least slight moral infractions even gauged by their own subjective standards.  So?  What is this great difference?  

If you mean we are all doomed to hell fire for such infractions, I'd say your sense of proportion is absurdly, even immorally out of balance.  Civilized people recognize the difference between gossip and murder.
You do realize that there are deaths caused simply by gossip? In fact there is a TV series being made about this subject.

So has accidentally turning the wrong way on a one way street.   That doesn't make turning the wrong way on a one way street akin to murder.  Gossip might in extreme cases lead to suicide, but that doesn't make it akin to murder either.  If you consider all moral infractions of equal weight, I think there's something seriously askew in your moral compass.  I'm glad you are not in charge of writing the criminal code as the results would be horrific.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video #2 Why bad things happen to Good people. Drich 13 1733 January 6, 2020 at 11:05 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why is God fearing a good thing? Elskidor 32 11468 September 23, 2014 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Ryantology