Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 21, 2024, 2:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why be good?
RE: Why be good?
(May 29, 2015 at 9:05 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Ben-

You asked if I'm reading the posts. 

I am.

So you have absolutely no excuse for the continued strawman. Dodgy
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(May 28, 2015 at 9:14 am)Ben Davis Wrote:
(May 28, 2015 at 8:06 am)Randy Carson Wrote: Could it be that evolution doesn't play a role in the development of objective moral values?
*my bolding

Please can you stop using this term. It's clearly established that there's no such thing and that the term 'objective' in this context is a disingenuous misdefinition. I hope you'll prefer to engage honestly so that we can continue our discussion.

And I hope you notice the irony of your use of the term in a thread regarding morality.

Sure, Ben.

I can re-think the use of that term.

See? I'm reading the posts.

(May 28, 2015 at 9:50 am)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(May 27, 2015 at 10:05 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: The question is: How did we get this sense of right and wrong? Evolution doesn't suggest that males should be polite with females...it suggests that the strongest and most aggressive mate when and where they please. That's just "survival of the fittest", isn't it?

So, in light of that, WHY should men be good on their dates with women v. taking what they want simply because they can like our ancestors might have done a few thousand years ago?

Your understanding of evolution is somewhat primitive.  As pointed out, fittest doesn't necessarily mean strongest.  In a social species, the fittest may be those who are able to mesh with the social relationships the best.  Therefore, evolution could promote sociability over your simplistic conception of self-interest.  In that case, following social mores such as don't hurt, don't steal, would be in the self-interest of the individual.  It's similar to kin selective processes; those in my social circle have genes similar to mine, so by being socially positive, I ensure the survival of my gene type.  That creates a differential reproduction in favor of those who have behaviors that are well adapted to the social nature of the species, rather than selfish behaviors.

You don't share the same morals as me, yet because you are of the same species as me, it's in my best interest, genetically, to protect you.

Jorm-

Stalin. 
Pol Pot.
Ferdinand Marcos.
Vladimir Putin.

How did each of these individuals use their wonderfully developed social skills (such as "not hurting" and "not stealing") to rise to a position of authority within their own respective societies?
(May 29, 2015 at 9:07 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Jorm-

Stalin. 
Pol Pot.
Ferdinand Marcos.
Vladimir Putin.

How did each of these individuals use their wonderfully developed social skills (such as "not hurting" and "not stealing") to rise to a position of authority within their own respective societies?

"If there's absolutely any variation at all, the rule is invalid!" Rolleyes

Do I take it, then, that every murderous christian is an individual argument against the existence of your transcendent moral laws? Or are you suddenly willing to see exceptions or variations when it comes to your side? Dodgy
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(May 28, 2015 at 10:41 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:
(May 26, 2015 at 8:38 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: .
Since others have addressed at length let flip this around on you. Why are Catholics less moral?Aside from the systematic fuckibg of little boys by your church, american Catholics are statistically speaking both less educated and more likely to commit crimes. Why is that?'
I just want to repeat this because I am afraid it got kind of drowned out, but I want you to address this

I'll be happy to address it...as long as you aren't merely asserting these things.

Please cite your sources, and I will review them and comment if I can.

Thanks.
(May 29, 2015 at 9:15 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(May 28, 2015 at 10:41 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: I just want to repeat this because I am afraid it got kind of drowned out, but I want you to address this

I'll be happy to address it...as long as you aren't merely asserting these things.

Holy fucking shit, my irony meter!

Last response of the night, folks. More tomorrow.

If you've read all of the posts up to this point, you should have noted that the vast majority of the respondents to my OP have confirmed what I wrote. So, is that really such a big claim for me to make? If God does not exist (as everyone else but me accepts as true), then what IS the source of our understandings about "good" and "bad" and "right" and "wrong" if not "personal conviction and group consensus"? It seems to me that I've been overwhelmingly supported in this. Even by you here:

Oh...I was about to comment, but let's continue on...

I'm not buying it. When a lion kills a cub or runs off an older male in order to take over the pride, he is not thinking of what's better for the group...even though, ironically, his actions ARE what's best for the group. How is a third-world dictator acting any differently? Well, his actions may not be in the best interests of his country for starters, but he is still dominating the group in the same way the new alpha male lion is...by forceful takeover.

And yet, plagiarisim, corporate espionage, patent infringement, and even theft of cups of coffee, etc. happen all the time. Beyond that, I would agree with the balance of your paragraph.

Is that what's happening in Baltimore? Or what happened in Ferguson? People stayed home and played parlor games because they knew that was better than going out into the streets and rioting?

I'm not specifying anything about you or me; however, if there is an opening when your boss retires...you do hope that YOU get the job and not one of your co-workers, right?

God's laws are good because He is good. He gives us laws so that we become like Him.

Nope. See above.

A flawed premise leads to this false conclusion.

You may be right.

Or  Lightbulb  it may be that atheists simply don't see 1) the incompatibility of holding evolution as the mechanism by which we have arrived on the world stage while 2) simultaneously denying that putting others' interests above your own is in direct conflict with the evolutionary process that got us here in the first place.

Calm down.

When I've been a member of the forum for 30 days, I'm allowed to begin linking to reference material.

And you can believe I will.

Randy, if you are going to quote this much, please learn how to do it so you are not misquoting and mis-attributing posts. Also, please use hide tags so we don't have to scroll through 10 screens of post.
Use some proper formatting and hide tags...
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

I am.

So, it a reading comprehension issue then...
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(May 29, 2015 at 9:54 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:

I am.

So, it a reading comprehension issue then...

I wonder if this forum has a text to speech plugin... Thinking 
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(May 29, 2015 at 8:15 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(May 27, 2015 at 11:18 pm)Jenny A Wrote: You forget that I live in and have been educated in a particular society and largely share that societies morality.  So yes I have strong objections to both genital mutilation and burning widows on funeral pyres.  But the people who live in those countries might not, yet they consider themselves to be moral.  Obviously the standard is subjective.

However, a subjective standard does not mean one can't argue that one set of morals is better than another.  It's just the the appeal can't be made to a higher authority such as god.  By the way, you do realize that both of these objectionable practices are at their roots religious practices.

Jenny-

Let's broaden this a bit just for a moment.

Suppose an alien race arrives on our planet with a completely different set of values. 

They immediately rape all earth women in order to impregnate them while killing off all earth males. )BTW - Rape is considered a good thing on their planet because females should be honored to be the recipient of the males attention and seed. You won't mind that now that you can see their point of view, will you?)

Oh, and the reason they've come to earth is to begin farming us for food. So, your offspring, cute little mutants (you'll be bearing a litter, actually), will be consumed by the male who mated with you.

Now, remember, in their culture, rape is not wrong. Nor is the subjugation and consumption of humans.

So, why should this alien race be "good" when it is in their best interest to do otherwise?

Have they evolved differently? Or not at all? Or is evolution really not such an adequate process by which to develop "good" and "bad" behavior?

In case you haven't noticed, "good" is an almost entirely inter-human concept.  We eat other animals all the time, farm them, use them as labor, try to eradicate them when they get in our way.  Do you have moral complaints about my use of an exterminator to rid my house of carpenter ants?  To the extent we have any empathy for other animals it's spillover from the empathy we have evolved for each other.

Is a tiger immoral if it eats a person?  No.  Killer bees?  No.  Dangerous to humans yes.  Immoral no.  They, like hurricanes are outside our moral structure.  Your proposed aliens would be the same.  I would assume that if they made it to earth they must be a very inter-cooperative culture or they couldn't have mastered the tech and assembled the resources to get here.  So they would have a morality of their own concerning each other.  Whether they would have any spillover empathy for us, is another question and the answer is it would depend upon how they evolved. 

BTW just a note about biology that even Genesis gets right:  each according to their kind.  Those aliens would not be able to breed with us and would be very unlikely to be sexually compatible with or sexually interested in us either.  So you can take rape right off the table.  But sure, they might eat us, enslave us, or just plain eradicate us.  And no god would lift a finger. And from their point of view, there might not be anything immoral about it.

(May 29, 2015 at 9:47 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: When I've been a member of the forum for 30 days, I'm allowed to begin linking to reference material. And you can believe I will.

What a lame excuse:

Quote:One very important exception to the the 30/30 requirement is when external links/videos/images are used within discussion or with the intention of discussion. While we would generally advise new members who haven't met the 30/30 stipulations against posting threads with the sole intention of linking to an external site (whether advertising or not) or starting your own discussions based on external content, we do of course allow you to link to external sources when it is warranted. For instance you can post external content if using it as evidence in a discussion or you can post a YouTube video if it is relevant to an ongoing discussion.

http://atheistforums.org/rules.php
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video #2 Why bad things happen to Good people. Drich 13 1733 January 6, 2020 at 11:05 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why is God fearing a good thing? Elskidor 32 11468 September 23, 2014 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Ryantology