Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 21, 2024, 1:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What IS good, and how do we determine it?
RE: What IS good, and how do we determine it?
(June 26, 2015 at 6:41 am)Mr.wizard Wrote:
(June 26, 2015 at 1:10 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I defended his point simply to show he neither condones rape, nor thinks God condones rape. That seemed very clear to me, but people were still accusing him of it for some reason, so I figured I'd clarify. It's not my argument, it's not what I think happened, so I have no answer for your question. Ask Randy.

Well for me if he believes the stories in the old testament are true and takes the position that if god was ordering it than it wasn't really rape, then in my eyes he is condoning rape. He is trying to get around condoning rape by pretending that kidnapping a woman, forcing her to marry you and having sex with her, is not rape.

This. Randy is trying to convince us the obvious rape of the war captives is somehow not rape so he can say he doesn't condone rape. That is why I keep trying to get him to answer the question about modern soldiers.

We would condemn a group of American soldiers who forcibly married young virgins after destroying their village. The bible is describing a similar situation.
(June 26, 2015 at 7:05 am)Nope Wrote: That is why I keep trying to get him to answer the question about modern soldiers.

What kind of answer would you expect? He most certainly would take the easy way out in saying, they're not marrying their victims.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(June 25, 2015 at 1:59 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(June 24, 2015 at 11:58 pm)Faith No More Wrote: And my point is that God, as an extremely powerful being, would have known a million ways to get the Israelites to accept all the morals at once.  Hell, he could have just poofed it into their brain.  

What makes the vomit rise in my throat is that both you and Randy seem to think that forcing a woman to share a bed with her rapist for a lifetime, probably bearing his children, is somehow acceptable under any context.

Then swallow hard because it gets even better.

The woman taken into an Israelite home as a wife was fortunate. There, she would hear the Law of Moses and of God's covenant with Abraham, the father of the nation. She would learn of Adam & Eve, of Noah, of Jacob's journey to Egypt. She would learn about Pharoah and the mighty deeds performed before Pharaoh. She would learn of the Passover, the manna that fed the people in the desert and of all the feasts that God had instituted. She would learn of Moses and the burning bush as well as the 10 commandments given to Moses. Above all, she would learn to worship the true God instead of the lifeless idols and gods of other nations.

She would be a very lucky lady, indeed.

So, Randy is not condoning rape? Read Faith No More's comment. He said, basically that it makes him want to vomit that a rape victim might be forced to share her bed with her rapists. Randy's response was For Faith No More to swallow harder because Randy believes that the victim is fortunate to be exposed to the correct god.
(June 25, 2015 at 1:59 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Then swallow hard because it gets even better.

The woman taken into an Israelite home as a wife was fortunate. There, she would hear the Law of Moses and of God's covenant with Abraham, the father of the nation. She would learn of Adam & Eve, of Noah, of Jacob's journey to Egypt. She would learn about Pharoah and the mighty deeds performed before Pharaoh. She would learn of the Passover, the manna that fed the people in the desert and of all the feasts that God had instituted. She would learn of Moses and the burning bush as well as the 10 commandments given to Moses. Above all, she would learn to worship the true God instead of the lifeless idols and gods of other nations.

She would be a very lucky lady, indeed.

You are the single most disgusting person I have ever spoken to, Randy.

It's hard to believe the horrible shit you're prepared to say in defense of your god. I sincerely hope you don't believe a word of the above, or else I feel sorry for your wife.
Given some of the competition on this board alone, curiously absent from this thread, Randy ought to feel honoured. Or ashamed. One of those three anyway.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I...

Thank you Randy, you do all our work for us. You show exactly how blind adherence to religious doctrine can utterly rot a person's morality. I hope you know what dishonesty you're presenting and don't really believe the vile nonsense you spout.

Exhibit A. One would hope it's an undercover atheist. A damn fine job, if so. Now excuse me while I go wash my eyes out.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(June 26, 2015 at 7:14 am)Nope Wrote: So, Randy is not condoning rape?  Read Faith No More's comment. He said, basically that it makes him want to vomit that a rape victim might be forced to share her bed with her rapists. Randy's response was For Faith No More to swallow harder because Randy believes that the victim is fortunate to be exposed to the correct god.

... i.e., to be raped mentally as well as physically.

(June 26, 2015 at 7:14 am)Nope Wrote: So, Randy is not condoning rape?  Read Faith No More's comment. He said, basically that it makes him want to vomit that a rape victim might be forced to share her bed with her rapists. Randy's response was For Faith No More to swallow harder because Randy believes that the victim is fortunate to be exposed to the correct god.

Yeah, he can file for moral bankruptcy right here and now. Not only is it disgusting, it's also ignorant because at the same time this was the law of the land in Israel, right around the corner in Egypt, women weren't treated like cattle.
(June 26, 2015 at 2:09 am)robvalue Wrote: Wait, wait...

If there is supposed to be this objective morality which comes from God that he has somehow implanted in us so we know things like rape and slavery are wrong, why was he implanting people at the time of Jesus with a different set of morals so that they clearly didn't think or know slavery and rape are wrong?

It just goes to show how messed up things were getting. Yes, I believe we are all born with a certain sense of right and wrong for big things like that, but if society teaches us differently, we become conditioned/brainwash to believe it's ok because we've never seen anything different.

(June 26, 2015 at 6:41 am)Mr.wizard Wrote:
(June 26, 2015 at 1:10 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I defended his point simply to show he neither condones rape, nor thinks God condones rape. That seemed very clear to me, but people were still accusing him of it for some reason, so I figured I'd clarify. It's not my argument, it's not what I think happened, so I have no answer for your question. Ask Randy.

Well for me if he believes the stories in the old testament are true and takes the position that if god was ordering it than it wasn't really rape, then in my eyes he is condoning rape. He is trying to get around condoning rape by pretending that kidnapping a woman, forcing her to marry you and having sex with her, is not rape.

From what I understood, he (randy) still belives those things are wrong and that God does not condone them. But believes God had to integrate Himself slowly, otherwise it wouldn't have made a difference.

Thank you everyone again for participating in my thread. I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

My parents and little brother are flying down to visit for the next few days and they will be here this evening! I've been cleaning up and preparing the place for them, so I will be unavailable for the rest of today until next week. :-)

Thanks again, hope everyone has a great weekend!
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(June 26, 2015 at 11:14 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: From what I understood, he (randy) still belives those things are wrong and that God does not condone them. But believes God had to integrate Himself slowly, otherwise it wouldn't have made a difference.

Have you actually read the Randy quote Nope posted earlier on this page? There's not much room for a friendly interpretation of that one.

Also the argument of times being different doesn't fly in this case. While Yahweh supposedly taught the Israelites to be less harmful in their rapist attitudes, the Egyptians, who never heard of him, treated men and women pretty much as equals.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The serpent, the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and the tree of life. Newtonscat 48 11896 February 4, 2015 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter