Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 9, 2024, 6:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Psalm 137:9
RE: Psalm 137:9
(October 13, 2017 at 2:33 am)Godscreated Wrote:
(October 11, 2017 at 8:35 pm)Godisgood Wrote: You say that the bible is the word of god and then ignore the parts that seem contradictory. Simply put, bible is not perfect! How can you then assert Genesis is the true word of God if you think Psalm is not?

Just because there are things in the Bible that seem like they contradict each other, that does not automatically mean they do and it certainty doesn't mean that there isn't an explanation. When two verses seem like they contradict each other, try going to a Christian Website an asking. For example Genesis 1 and Genesis  is often presented as a contradiction. If you go onto Carm.org and go over to the left side there's a section called "Bible Difficulties and it will list difficult verses throughout the entire Bible. If you click on the first one, that says Genesis-Deuteronomy the first one to come up is: "1 & 2, Don't Genesis 1 and 2 present contradictory creation accounts?"

No, Genesis 2 is a more detailed account of Genesis 1. I'm not even sure what you are eluding to, I posed the question to see if it could be answered because I know there are no contradictions in the Bible. I use several different Bibles to study with and trust God who gave us the Bible over what man might have to say.

GC
So you think that Yahweh (the God of the Hebrews and the God of the armies) is the real deal and that all other deities are frauds.  

Do you think there's enough room on Earth for all of the stars that will fall on the planet?
(October 13, 2017 at 12:32 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(October 12, 2017 at 9:03 pm)Godisgood Wrote: But its an opinion based on current evidence. 
Im sorry Im not following you. What is  an opinion that is based on current evidence?

Well there was a time when people thought that that there were dog headed people living in india. That was their opinion based on rumours by people who had allegedly "witnessed" these imaginary beings, but as we know witness testimony is notoriously unreliable and what happened was that people actually went to india and found that there were in fact no dog headed people there, so their opinion changed to no longer believing in dog heads. It was an opinion that had changed due to new information.

People used to think that radiation was good for you when it was first discovered because energy=good for you and they sold irradiated water and food to give you vitality. That was their "opinion" but it changed when it was discovered that it was immensely bad for you.

I could go on if you like I have like a hundred examples of this.
Ok and Atheists believe that everything around us, morality, the laws of nature, the universe, life can be explained naturally even though that has never been observed.

(October 14, 2017 at 1:04 am)Godisgood Wrote:
(October 13, 2017 at 12:32 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Well there was a time when people thought that that there were dog headed people living in india. That was their opinion based on rumours by people who had allegedly "witnessed" these imaginary beings, but as we know witness testimony is notoriously unreliable and what happened was that people actually went to india and found that there were in fact no dog headed people there, so their opinion changed to no longer believing in dog heads. It was an opinion that had changed due to new information.

People used to think that radiation was good for you when it was first discovered because energy=good for you and they sold irradiated water and food to give you vitality. That was their "opinion" but it changed when it was discovered that it was immensely bad for you.

I could go on if you like I have like a hundred examples of this.
Ok and Atheists believe that everything around us, morality, the laws of nature, the universe, life can be explained naturally even though that has never been observed.

Ok none of what you said is Christianity??
Atheism isn't the belief tthat any of that can be explained by -any- means.....it's not believing in a god.  Full stop.

However..where you see the inexplicable-sans-god, I don't.  Morality, explicable without reference to a god.  The laws of nature?  Explicitly explicable without reference to a god (otherwise we'd call them the laws of god).  The universe, life.......etc etc etc, sure.

I;m not sure why you think that none of this has been observed. The laws of nature are specifically determined -by- observation. Much the same could be said for each of the subjects proposed.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:Ok and Atheists believe that everything around us, morality, the laws of nature, the universe, life can be explained naturally even though that has never been observed.
Atheism makes no such claim
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(October 14, 2017 at 1:14 am)Tizheruk Wrote:
Quote:Ok and Atheists believe that everything around us, morality, the laws of nature, the universe, life can be explained naturally even though that has never been observed.
Atheism makes no such claim

Richard Dawkins believe the universe came from nothing and that life came from nothing. He said so himself.

(October 14, 2017 at 1:19 am)Godisgood Wrote:
(October 14, 2017 at 1:14 am)Tizheruk Wrote: Atheism makes no such claim

Richard Dawkins believe the universe came from nothing and that life came from nothing. He said so himself.

There are a whole bunch of atheists who believe this.

(October 14, 2017 at 1:19 am)Godisgood Wrote: Richard Dawkins believe the universe came from nothing and that life came from nothing. He said so himself.

Lawrence Krauss literally has a book titled "A universe from nothing" where he tries to find a way to explain that nothing doesn't mean nothing but it means something.

(October 14, 2017 at 1:19 am)Godisgood Wrote: Richard Dawkins believe the universe came from nothing and that life came from nothing. He said so himself.

Lawrence Krauss literally has a book titled "A universe from nothing" where he tries to find a way to explain that nothing doesn't mean nothing but it means something.
[Image: 220px-AUFN_LawrenceKrauss.jpeg]
Atheists don't have a pope, and the only thing we all have in common is that we don't believe in gods.

Are you just going to throw shit at the wall..or maybe ask some specific question to any of the atheists you have right here in front of you..about any of the things you've mentioned thusfar?

"Atheists do this, atheists say that, atheists believe x" - firstly..you're probably not an authority on such claims, but are you more interested in listing off things you think atheists do or say or believe..or why they might do, say, or believe such things?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

[Image: 220px-AUFN_LawrenceKrauss.jpeg]
What i mean is atheists that are naturalists.
There's no requirement that they be. Buddhists..for example, are atheists..but not naturalists.
Whether they are atheists or naturalists or evolutionists or all three, athiests believe life came from non-life or arose by chance. Im going to just choose one to talk about.
(October 14, 2017 at 1:31 am)Godisgood Wrote: Whether they are atheists or naturalists or evolutionists or all three, athiests believe life came from non-life or arose by chance. Im going to just choose one to talk about.

No..again, there's no requirement that atheists believe any of that.  But sure, pick one.

Amusingly, many theists -do- believe that life came from non-life..and for fundamental christian beliefs..this is a requirement.  There was no life..then god played in the dirt..and there was.