Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AF Get-Togethers
RE: AF Get-Togethers
(December 5, 2015 at 9:55 pm)Exian Wrote: Makes me wish we had trains in the US.

huh.  Listening to the Surfliner go by as I type...
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
There was just a train derailment on the east coast in November. Caused travel headaches for the Thanksgiving holiday since it happened on that Wednesday before the holiday. Amtrak had service interruptions up and down the east coast for hours.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Not like Europe/Asia. That infrastructure would do wonders to carbon emissions and travel costs.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Sadly, our rail infrastructure is shit.
(December 6, 2015 at 1:17 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Not like Europe/Asia. That infrastructure would do wonders to carbon emissions and travel costs.

This is what I meant. If I wanted to go anywhere 5 hours or more away, it's driving or flying.

The only trains I see around here are cargo.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(December 5, 2015 at 10:21 pm)Judi Lynn Wrote: There was just a train derailment on the east coast in November. Caused travel headaches for the Thanksgiving holiday since it happened on that Wednesday before the holiday.[...]

There's been a certain derailment on a certain thread that has now closed here on AF... that certainly gave me an (online) travel headache.
(December 6, 2015 at 4:17 am)Exian Wrote:
(December 6, 2015 at 1:17 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Not like Europe/Asia. That infrastructure would do wonders to carbon emissions and travel costs.

This is what I meant. If I wanted to go anywhere 5 hours or more away, it's driving or flying.

The only trains I see around here are cargo.

I've taken the train across the country several times over the years. My biggest gripe is that it's slow, slower than automobile over long distances (three days from Memphis to Los Angeles, for instance). But if you have the time, it's an interesting and at times beautiful way to see the country.

I don't think Americans today would support the sort of rail systems seen in Europe or Japan. Everyone seems to need their own car so they can go where they wish as they wish. Maybe in the future, but the will is not there right now.

Someone come get me I must escape this tiny town hell!
(December 6, 2015 at 12:00 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Someone come get me I must escape this tiny town hell!

I'll come pick you up when I make my trip to New Orleans. Hope you've got some gas money, or a least know how to make a decent sammich!
(December 6, 2015 at 4:06 pm)Thena323 Wrote:
(December 6, 2015 at 12:00 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Someone come get me I must escape this tiny town hell!

I'll come pick you up when I make my trip to New Orleans. Hope you've got some gas money, or a least know how to make a decent sammich!

Thena - Will y'all be in Louisiana after Christmas? I'm heading down there on the 26th.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.