Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures)
RE: The Newly Departed thread: announcements
(May 18, 2015 at 6:24 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(May 18, 2015 at 2:46 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: I presented my case like an adult.  What are you implying?

The question was asked. "Often" is a strong word that requires some backup. I don't think that was an unreasonable or inflammatory request. I was simply saying if you don't care to discuss it further, then we're done, right?

Realistically?  What am I gonna do, spend a week scouring the board for evidence.  You and she are being unrealistic.  It was a judgement call based on my impression of things.  If you want to play "prove it" games, I'm not playing.  I represented my best judgement at the time, and amended it by the context that followed.  If you or she felt that I behaved inappropriately, you're welcome to your opinion.  I respectfully disagree.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I don't think Ratsetsu has been out of line at all in the way she's voiced her opinion.

I also think that the ability to take aboard criticism is the mark of a good leader.

Freethought implies the ability to entertain contrary notions simultaneously, and work them through to a coherent solution.

You are Banned! For making complete sense!
(Sorry, wrong thread)
Tongue
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Ras, I was never saying you were wrong or behaved inappropriately at all. I am sorry that my post came off that way. I just think that making that point is a big accusation, and requires more than being dismissive when people ask for examples.

I will add that I added fuel to the fire by being dismissive right back, and for that I will apologize.

But I stand by the sentiment.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
That's what got my attention; the phrase "often they are threatened with retaliation for voicing their opinion." If not for that I wouldn't have posted at all.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
^^this
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Jörmungandr has always been fine from my perspective. I have had no issues with her.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
It's hard to pronounce.....
(May 19, 2015 at 12:34 am)Stimbo Wrote: That's what got my attention; the phrase "often they are threatened with retaliation for voicing their opinion." If not for that I wouldn't have posted at all.

And asking for support for the sentiment is fair, with multiple examples to justify the word "often".  

Discussions can at times be tough sledding, but I think discussions like this make the site better.

I don't have any fundamental disagreements with anything that's been said. If I overstated things in my original reply to poca, all the same I think it resulted in a positive discussion. I have no misgivings about having made the statement. That's about all I have to say, except to apologize to Becca for letting my temper get the better of me in my reply to her and making such a dismissive reply.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Member Commentary on announcements and staff logs thread The Valkyrie 139 10262 July 6, 2022 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4183 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  [split] The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures) Edwardo Piet 93 10267 December 12, 2016 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  Please Explain to a Newly Inducted "Old Fart" thesummerqueen 44 13482 November 1, 2012 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Cinjin