Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 8, 2024, 12:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Can I just say, and I'm just being honest...
RE: Can I just say, and I'm just being honest...
(April 11, 2017 at 7:38 pm)Nymphadora Wrote:
(April 11, 2017 at 5:34 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Don't give up.

Go out and kick their arses for them.

Why can't you get a job?  Are the places currently loaded down with staff?

The one place held interviews at school, before I graduated. I did both a sit down and a technical interview and was "strongly encouraged" to apply online, which I did. I got a call the next day, was told that they would try to find a receptionist position for me until I graduated. Three days later, I get a call saying they didn't have any of those positions available, but they emphasized the importance of having me call when I graduated and received my license in hand. I called the day I got my license. Waited three days, no answer. I emailed. Waited three days got no answer. Called again. Same thing. I then called the salon closest to me and spoke with the manager, whom I had seen a dozen times while at school. She wasn't there, but the assistant manager said she would pass along my info. Waited a week. Finally I decided to go in. I spoke with the manager who told me she didn't understand why the recruiting personnel wasn't contacting me so she would check it out. The very next day, I get an email from the recruiting person saying they weren't moving forward with my candidacy. Wasted over a month of my time because from everything they said during both my interviews and the initial phone calls, they wanted me in.

I could have been looking elsewhere.

The second place called today. Evidently there was another more.qualified person for the job. I'm okay with that because at least they didn't string me along like the other place did.

I dunno. People get hired on right out of school all the time. Maybe it's my age. Maybe they want young blood. I really just don't know.

(April 11, 2017 at 6:27 pm)Regina Wrote: This might sound so obvious you already considered it, but do you have like a portfolio of your work you could show employers? Photos and videos of what you do? Testimonials from any customers you might have worked with before?
I'm glad you asked. I have an online portfolio that all the salons have access to. It was set up during my schooling and was updated before I graduated. In addition, I have client surveys from school that show whatthe clients tthought of my skills, attitude, professionalism etc. I was asked by the second salon if my profile online was complete and it was.

Put the onus back on the first place.

Ask them WHY they won't be going forward with you.  Ask WHY the process took so long as you could have been looking for other positions.  Ask WHY they took so long getting back to you?

It seems the manager you met through school is the one who had your back and can get things done.

Talk to her about upcoming positions and career advice.  She may be too busy to help and you might not want to impose, but you get nothing if you don't ask.

If you're really feeling the need to work, have you considered getting a job elsewhere while you keep searching for something in your chosen career path?
Dying to live, living to die.
(April 11, 2017 at 7:38 pm)Nymphadora Wrote:

Keep at it. And, if it comes down to it, perhaps consider applying to salons as an apprentice; at least, you'll have your foot in the door. 
You'd also be demonstrating that despite having a license, you're still willing to learn...their way.
(April 11, 2017 at 5:12 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(April 11, 2017 at 3:05 pm)Longhorn Wrote: I wanted to say that I'm suffering. So I started by typing it in a post on an online forum.

OK, that's a start. Will it also be the end?

Nope. This is far from being over.
(April 12, 2017 at 10:09 am)Longhorn Wrote:
(April 11, 2017 at 5:12 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: OK, that's a start. Will it also be the end?

Do you think you can find a way through it?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
CIJS,

There's a nice man who works in the men's department in my store.  On occasion, I have heard him mention some concerns about how he should go about successfully dating others.  Now, while I'm no dating guru, I have learned some things that may be of use to him: ultimately, IMO, you've got to be able to be yourself and be confident about who you are.  Now, if you have done this on a date and the other person is not romantically interested, then there's nothing to be ashamed of: you gave it your best shot and were honestly upfront about who you are as an individual, which demonstrates a healthy self-esteem and confidence while showing consideration for the other person's time and dating goals.  In addition, if the other person was initially interested in you, then take it as a compliment that you are presenting yourself well and confidently move on with your dating adventure.

With that said, this man is very nice, funny, erudite, and highly intelligent, which really sets him apart; he eventually wants to be a history professor.  Hence, IMO, if he lets these qualities glow and come out in full-force on his dates (he doesn't suppress them behind some preconceived notion of machismo idiocy), then sooner or later, he'll probably meet a woman and make that special connection where both of them can be themselves around one another and be truly happy.

CIJS, I'm having a pregnant craving for a Bloomin' Onion.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(April 12, 2017 at 10:09 am)Longhorn Wrote:
(April 11, 2017 at 5:12 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: OK, that's a start. Will it also be the end?

I hope you feel better, Vic. Sad
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(April 13, 2017 at 3:23 am)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(April 12, 2017 at 10:09 am)Longhorn Wrote: Nope. This is far from being over.

I hope you feel better, Vic. Sad

Ahh no worries! I really am better than I have ever been to my memory. This is a positive change, I'm just saying there's a lot more to go Smile thank you for your concern, but life is good and I mean that Heart

(April 12, 2017 at 12:50 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(April 12, 2017 at 10:09 am)Longhorn Wrote: Nope. This is far from being over.

Do you think you can find a way through it?

Yeah. I'm on my way right now. The thing is to keep moving, but it shouldn't be a problem because for the first time I feel that I'm actually going somewhere Smile
One foot in front of the other, Vic ... that's the way.

(April 13, 2017 at 10:22 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: One foot in front of the other, Vic ... that's the way.

That's what I'm trying to do. Really glad to see you here again, Thump Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Say what??? Gawdzilla Sama 10 943 June 21, 2023 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  At 33 years of age, I am being bullied and tired of it. AkiraTheViking 12 1232 June 7, 2023 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: deleted
  What do you say? LastPoet 2 480 January 14, 2020 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama