Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The First Century Void
RE: The First Century Void
(July 25, 2017 at 3:33 pm)Tizheruk Wrote:
Quote:You have me curious to see the evidence or foundation for this claim of deliberate elimination.  We'll see what "real scholarship" looks like!

You would not know scholarship if it bit you in the ass. And when it's presented you'll just fire up the apologist  denial generator. scream conspiracy theory, chanting, but someone would have noticed, cooking up baseless fiction, Move the goalpost, complain the source is biased , Or you will go the lazy route and just link us to some apologist site that does it all the above for you.

I would encourage you to cite your criticisms if and when I commit them, so we can discuss their validity then in context.   Frankly I'm not impressed by baseless accusations without support... chest beating or sophism.    Without reference we can't discuss them, and it's not about the people, who makes the claim or argument, labels or anything else.  I would also appreciate it if you let me speak for myself, instead of making up straw men with which to comfort yourself and argue against. 

It's your choice, to discuss intelligently, or just throw out insults.   I'm done with back and forth though, that doesn't pertain to fruitful discussion.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(July 25, 2017 at 4:16 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Frankly I'm not impressed by baseless accusations without support...

ROFLOL
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(July 25, 2017 at 4:16 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Frankly I'm not impressed by baseless accusations without support...

Well then, why do you resort to them so frequently and so readily, if you hate them so?

Bad enough that you're an uneducated and lying twat, but one who has no sense of introspection either? Goes much lower in my eyes.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
No what you don't like is how shady it makes your personal ideology look . If we were going after Taoists I doubt you would be so rapid in your denials. And ditto to what Tazzy and cyber said.
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

We could go back and forth, I could insult and give my opinions about you as well.  And no benefit will come of it.  Lets get back to the discussion and demonstration it for all to see.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
Nope I find our criticisms very  productive but your free to walk away and scurry back under the rock of denial . And well still be here pointing out the facts .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Don't get me wrong... I'm not against criticism.... but do it in context, where it can be examined and intelligently discussed. Or if someone would like to re-visit something, we can do that too.
I've got to strike a fine line here.  Carrier among others - this is hardly news outside the bible-thumper community - cites a number of examples.  I've got to produce enough so that RR doesn't hold his breath until he turns blue without re-producing so much that it violates the sites' copyright rules.  I'll get there.  I just need time and today is not going to be that day.

As an example, though, here is Richard Lataster quoting Robert Drews, on the issue of Tacitus:

Quote:Furthermore, most information from Book 5 and the beginning of Book 6 (covering CE-32-37) is lost.
The Annals is suspiciously missing information from around 29 CE to 32 CE, a highly relevant
timeframe for those that believe (historically or religiously) in Jesus. It is equally suspicious that the
only section missing in the space dedicated to Tiberius’ rule happens to coincide with what many Christians
would consider to be the most historically noteworthy event(s) to occur during Tiberius’ reign.

Robert Drews theorizes that the only plausible explanation for this gap is “pious fraud;” that the embarrassment
of Tacitus making no mention of Jesus’ crucifixion (or associated events such as the darkness covering
the world or the appearances of resurrected saints) led to Christian scribes destroying this portion of the text, and perhaps later fabricating the Book 15
reference. 
(July 25, 2017 at 6:30 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I've got to strike a fine line here.  Carrier among others - this is hardly news outside the bible-thumper community - cites a number of examples.  I've got to produce enough so that RR doesn't hold his breath until he turns blue without re-producing so much that it violates the sites' copyright rules.  I'll get there.  I just need time and today is not going to be that day.

As an example, though, here is Richard Lataster quoting Robert Drews, on the issue of Tacitus:

Quote:Furthermore, most information from Book 5 and the beginning of Book 6 (covering CE-32-37) is lost.
The Annals is suspiciously missing information from around 29 CE to 32 CE, a highly relevant
timeframe for those that believe (historically or religiously) in Jesus. It is equally suspicious that the
only section missing in the space dedicated to Tiberius’ rule happens to coincide with what many Christians
would consider to be the most historically noteworthy event(s) to occur during Tiberius’ reign.

Robert Drews theorizes that the only plausible explanation for this gap is “pious fraud;” that the embarrassment
of Tacitus making no mention of Jesus’ crucifixion (or associated events such as the darkness covering
the world or the appearances of resurrected saints) led to Christian scribes destroying this portion of the text, and perhaps later fabricating the Book 15
reference. 

But someone would have noticed conspiracy theory !!!

Quote:Don't get me wrong... I'm not against criticism.... but do it in context, where it can be examined and intelligently discussed. Or if someone would like to re-visit something, we can do that too.

Bullocks

Inuit Proverb

Take your time, and let me know when you are ready.... I'll take notes and reply then.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  9/11 a "day of destiny" for Germany in the 20th century Deesse23 0 318 November 9, 2018 at 4:57 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  What was the first thread or the first member on Atheistforums.org? Omnicidal 15 2784 January 9, 2018 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Jesusism - Just Another First Century Mystery Cult Minimalist 70 9980 November 2, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The Millennium/21st Century Newtonscat 7 3386 January 20, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Newtonscat