Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 3:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why, God? Why?!
RE: Why, God? Why?!
(February 15, 2018 at 3:01 pm)Khemikal Wrote: "you just don't understand" in 3.....2......

...1 meh.
(February 15, 2018 at 8:47 am)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(February 15, 2018 at 1:37 am)Godscreated Wrote:  I wasn't concerned about what you wrote because it doesn't represent what I wrote, like I said and you still have not cared to notice is this God wanted/ desired to, not needed to.

And you’re still not paying attention, lol.  The distinction between want and need for a perfectly complete and self fulfilling entity is irrelevant.  If God wants something, that means he doesn’t presently have it.  How does a complete and self fulfilling entity lack anything?

You're the one who's lacking in understanding. God wasn't lacking in anything He used His power to give His love to others, sharing doesn't mean lacking. You need to try and understand the word wanted, it's not by necessity a need. Example- Today I wanted to go fishing but the wind was blowing to hard so I did not go. Going wasn't a need, nor was it going to fulfill or complete me, it was a desire to do something.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(February 16, 2018 at 3:54 am)Godscreated Wrote:
(February 15, 2018 at 8:47 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: And you’re still not paying attention, lol.  The distinction between want and need for a perfectly complete and self fulfilling entity is irrelevant.  If God wants something, that means he doesn’t presently have it.  How does a complete and self fulfilling entity lack anything?

You're the one who's lacking in understanding. God wasn't lacking in anything He used His power to give His love to others, sharing doesn't mean lacking. You need to try and understand the word wanted, it's not by necessity a need. Example- Today I wanted to go fishing but the wind was blowing to hard so I did not go. Going wasn't a need, nor was it going to fulfill or complete me, it was a desire to do something.

GC

God has anxious attachment style. He's never happy with what he has. He needs more and more to be with.
(February 16, 2018 at 4:09 am)Grandizer Wrote:
(February 16, 2018 at 3:54 am)Godscreated Wrote:  You're the one who's lacking in understanding. God wasn't lacking in anything He used His power to give His love to others, sharing doesn't mean lacking. You need to try and understand the word wanted, it's not by necessity a need. Example- Today I wanted to go fishing but the wind was blowing to hard so I did not go. Going wasn't a need, nor was it going to fulfill or complete me, it was a desire to do something.

GC

God has anxious attachment style. He's never happy with what he has. He needs more and more to be with.

You continue to show your lack of biblical understanding and yet you say you know scripture, can't prove it by me.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(February 16, 2018 at 4:28 am)Godscreated Wrote:
(February 16, 2018 at 4:09 am)Grandizer Wrote: God has anxious attachment style. He's never happy with what he has. He needs more and more to be with.

You continue to show your lack of biblical understanding and yet you say you know scripture, can't prove it by me.

GC

The Bible lacks coherence. It's a bunch of books written by different authors with different modes of thinking and different theologies and beliefs.
I should just shut up and read a thread sometimes.

Interesting exchange between Khem and Neo which I can't help but hope will move beyond meh. I can't verify that Aquinas was eager to turn the god of biscuits into the god of philosophers, but it certainly has the ring of truthiness.

At first I was perplexed by LoC's original question. I mean, either you think such a Being makes sense or you don't. Assuming she doesn't, why is she asking for It to be coherent? Then I realized she was attempting to do a little Socratic teaching. @ G'sC: she was trying to show you that there are inconsistencies in the idea of God, in the bible and in the things xtians tell themselves to hold it all together. But you just went on insisting she hadn't responded to what you said. I'd say you pretty much wrestled her to a draw in terms of who was going to frame the conversation. @LoC: this must be the thanks one gets for trying to do someone some good. I'd say G'sC is no more interested in the good you'd do him than you are the good he'd like to do you. What was it Neo said? Oh yeah, "meh".
(February 16, 2018 at 3:54 am)Godscreated Wrote:
(February 15, 2018 at 8:47 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: And you’re still not paying attention, lol.  The distinction between want and need for a perfectly complete and self fulfilling entity is irrelevant.  If God wants something, that means he doesn’t presently have it.  How does a complete and self fulfilling entity lack anything?

GC

I wanted to go fishing.  I experienced a desire for something that I wasn’t presently or currently doing.  Shouldn’t god already have, and already be doing anything and everything?  Why did god want to share love with other creatures?  Shouldn’t his love be self-fulfilling?  He’s god.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
A desire to go fishing implies at lack of a current activity (fishing ) But also why does one fish . What is one lacking that motivates one to do the activity of fishing ?
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(February 15, 2018 at 12:29 pm)Khemikal Wrote: You;re not accurately conveying neo-platonism.  You're saddling it with christianity.  The one is unknowable, and so unrecognizable.  It is beyond our ability to "choose" it, as all choices reduce to it.  I always found it ironic that some subset of early christians were so completely unsatisfied with the philosophic underpinnings of their god that they directly lifted the philosophy of the group of pagans that presented the greatest and last opposition to their god in the classical world.  Two thousand years later, it appears as though this is still true..at least for some christians.

I guess the trick, for neo-platonists (of the pagan or christian variety) would be to convince all the christians that they have been completely wrong about god since the beginning.

I still can't understand how an honestly intelligent person can genuinely believe in anything as absurd as a god.

At least in the year 2018.....

DIVINE HIDDENNESS MOTHERFUCKER!

PERSON IN THE SKY MOTHERFUCKER!

"Oh wait he doesn't look like a person don't cartoonize my beliefs! He is still a He though and not a she and we are 'made in his image' only only metaphorically. I AM SO SMART DOIIIIIII DERPA DERPA DERP. I don't even know what I mean DERPADERPADIDDILY DUM."

Not all theists are retarded (some of them are liars!)... no but seriously SOMEHOW smart honest people believe in that nonsense.

But despite theists may not be retarded... theism absolutely is.
Have you been hitting the sauce again, Hamz? 😜
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12710 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6748 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad