Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 3:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think of Wicca?
RE: What do you think of Wicca?
(June 16, 2018 at 6:23 pm)Khemikal Wrote: You know that neither of those books have anything to do with wicca...right?

From my research new Age and Wicca are interlinked.

I don't know though I haven't opened up the books and read them. We'll see how close their ideas are to them or not.
@Diedre

There are, if it;s mostly spell and ritual that interests you...systems based on judeo-christian mythology.  You might be able to find what you;re looking for in-house, as it were.

(June 16, 2018 at 6:24 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(June 16, 2018 at 6:23 pm)Khemikal Wrote: You know that neither of those books have anything to do with wicca...right?

From my research new Age and Wicca are interlinked.
Your research, huh, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
All fun and games I guess...

"The proofs and warnings do not avail a people who won't believe".
Meh, it;s difficult enough as it is to find credible info on wicca, your raving won;t make it any easier.  

It;s not just that the abrahamics panties are in a twist over it, but also that theres a market for lying to wiccans (or wannabe wiccans) -about- wicca.  If you pulled every book on wicca off the shelf and read them all you;d find a small core of repeated deepity, and mostly filler beyond that.  If the pile had a few dozen books you might find five that were useful in any way, and you;d find that the tiny snippets of wicca in the rest were there in them as well.  Even the better books will contain a few fundamental misconceptions of what wicca is (and notable where it comes from).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
They believe in channeling to gods/Angels/hidden spiritual guides, whatever they want to call them. Either directly or reading from people who do.

This is a fact, whether, you admit or not.
Meh, some of them do...but they don;t have a magic book to read from..no sets of rules telling them what they can and can;t believe.  Theres simply no requirement that they believe this..it;s not central to wicca.  

That;s a strength of the faith for the individual practitioner..but a glaring organizational weakness that;s kept them from becoming mainstream even as the zeitgeist turns and turns closer to the stripped core of modern paganism.
I don't know enough to confirm or refute what you said.
(June 16, 2018 at 6:29 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: All fun and games I guess...

"The proofs and warnings do not avail a people who won't believe".

[Image: what%20am%20i%20doing%20wrong.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
@Mystic
Well aware, lol.

At it;s most basic..wicca is a religious philosophy that places nature at the center of the practitioners life.  That;s it, that;s all.  It doesn;t have to include gods, though it can..and it can even include them in the absence of belief in literal gods.  Some also believe in spirit this or thats, and even magic....but if you took all of that away, laid aside -those- beliefs...they;d still be wiccans.
(June 16, 2018 at 6:19 pm)Khemikal Wrote: So, for the history of wicca..you want Triumph of the Moon.

For rituals, Bucklands Complete Book Of Witchcraft or Cunninghams* Guide For The Solitary Practitioner.

For spells, any book in the new age section written for lovelorn teenage girls will do..but it would be a waste of time.  Any wiccan worth their salt will tell you that there is no such thing as a bunch of magic words, spoken right, at the right time..to make magic happen.  It;s deeply personal, you can and should construct them yourself using whatever imagery or bric a brac speaks to you.

Personally, when I want to make the magic happen..I put on some smooth jazz..light a bunch of lavendar scented candles..and whip up a batch of homemade alfredo.  It;s been working well enough, she still loves me.  Wink

Taking mine to a movie and dinner works the same kind of magic...
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why no Wicca Thread? TrueChristian 34 9287 April 3, 2017 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome