Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 6:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worries
RE: Worries
(May 29, 2019 at 6:29 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Wasn’t sure where post this… In the increasingly crazy rise of white supremacy in the US I’m seriously fearful of my safety. With more and more videos of cops killing unarmed black people, carrying a cane makes me nervous. I’m terrified that some upjumped cop will “mistake” my cane for a weapon and kill me. Am I being paranoid?

I think there are other fast moving objects that you should be more concerned with. I believe you've had a previous encounter with one. 

And for fucks sake, keep the cane.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Maybe BrokenQuill92 could go to her local police station, explain her situation and meet some cops and tell them "I am a lady with a cane, don't see me as a threat".

I mean would that perhaps calm you down?
(June 15, 2019 at 11:08 pm)wyzas Wrote:
(May 29, 2019 at 6:29 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Wasn’t sure where post this… In the increasingly crazy rise of white supremacy in the US I’m seriously fearful of my safety. With more and more videos of cops killing unarmed black people, carrying a cane makes me nervous. I’m terrified that some upjumped cop will “mistake” my cane for a weapon and kill me. Am I being paranoid?

I think there are other fast moving objects that you should be more concerned with. I believe you've had a previous encounter with one. 

And for fucks sake, keep the cane.
Oh I’m keeping the cane, especially after that car incident
Maybe you could paint the cane a neon color? Not a foolproof idea but it wouldn’t, hurt...
Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?

I have little sympathy. You voted a clown into office, no you have a clown in charge. Not my job to sort out your political screw ups. It's your's. 

Pro Tip: hand wringing is useless
Is it a realistic fear? Probably not. It's highly unlikely you'll ever be killed by a police officer, especially if you're not a criminal (although that doesn't seem to stop plenty of cops). I have mostly black friends, I can't say any of them ever express this same fear, even when we speak openly about race. Some of them are much more worried about being killed by people who live in our own neighborhood.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
(June 26, 2019 at 12:20 am)EgoDeath Wrote: Is it a realistic fear? Probably not. It's highly unlikely you'll ever be killed by a police officer, especially if you're not a criminal (although that doesn't seem to stop plenty of cops). I have mostly black friends, I can't say any of them ever express this same fear, even when we speak openly about race. Some of them are much more worried about being killed by people who live in our own neighborhood.

Well...There you have it BQ. The expert has spoken.

[Image: giphy.gif]
(June 26, 2019 at 7:22 am)Athene Wrote:
(June 26, 2019 at 12:20 am)EgoDeath Wrote: Is it a realistic fear? Probably not. It's highly unlikely you'll ever be killed by a police officer, especially if you're not a criminal (although that doesn't seem to stop plenty of cops). I have mostly black friends, I can't say any of them ever express this same fear, even when we speak openly about race. Some of them are much more worried about being killed by people who live in our own neighborhood.

Well...There you have it BQ. The expert has spoken.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Not an expert, just using common sense. You can quote statistics until you're blue in the face and afraid to go outside, it doesn't mean that anything is likely to happen to you. But hey, live your life in fear if it makes you feel more comfortable.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
(June 23, 2019 at 5:39 am)Abaddon_ire Wrote:

I have little sympathy. You voted a clown into office, no you have a clown in charge. Not my job to sort out your political screw ups. It's your's. 

Pro Tip: hand wringing is useless

WTF?

She didn't vote for the clown!
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(June 26, 2019 at 9:31 pm)EgoDeath Wrote: Not an expert, just using common sense. You can quote statistics until you're blue in the face and afraid to go outside, it doesn't mean that anything is likely to happen to you. But hey, live your life in fear if it makes you feel more comfortable.

I don't live my life in fear and I don't think that BQ should either.
I told her as much.

But the reality is that she must routinely carry a device that police have repeatedly been shown to mistake for a weapon, and that is a legitimate concern. The implication that she is more likely gunned down by "the brothas in the hood" is ridiculously presumptuous and dismissive since she's made it clear multiple times that she does NOT live in the fucking hood.