Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 11:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cancer Scare
Shocked 
Cancer Scare
Had an XRay June 1st. Suspicious spot on right upper lung or second rib. Had an Ultrasound that ruled out breast malignancy. Had a CT Scan with Contrast today after it took 3 weeks for insurance to approve CT scan. No CA. Just scarring on lung from a previous fungal infection. In these last 5 weeks I have felt no desire to pray. No desire to respond to friends and family offers of prayer. No desire to thank the Great Bog in the Sky for a good report. Happy to be here at 60 years old with an otherwise good bill of health. Science is awesome!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: Cancer Scare
(July 10, 2019 at 8:23 pm)chimp3 Wrote: Had an XRay June 1st. Suspicious spot on right upper lung or second rib. Had an Ultrasound that ruled out breast malignancy. Had a CT Scan with Contrast today after it took 3 weeks for insurance to approve CT scan. No CA. Just scarring on lung from a previous fungal infection. In these last 5 weeks I have felt no desire to pray. No desire to respond to friends and family offers of prayer. No desire to thank the Great Bog in the Sky for a good report. Happy to be here at 60 years old with an otherwise good bill of health. Science is awesome!

I know what you went through.  I have been misdiagnosed with bone cancer twice because of screws in my right leg.  Now, I make it a point of telling any doctor I see about it.

'Just so you know, I have pins and screws in my right leg. Don't be alarmed'

'Mr.  Shannon, you're here for an ear infection.'

*pause* 'Like I said - don't be alarmed.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 10, 2019 at 8:23 pm)chimp3 Wrote: Had an XRay June 1st. Suspicious spot on right upper lung or second rib. Had an Ultrasound that ruled out breast malignancy. Had a CT Scan with Contrast today after it took 3 weeks for insurance to approve CT scan. No CA. Just scarring on lung from a previous fungal infection. In these last 5 weeks I have felt no desire to pray. No desire to respond to friends and family offers of prayer. No desire to thank the Great Bog in the Sky for a good report. Happy to be here at 60 years old with an otherwise good bill of health. Science is awesome!

Even if it had turned out  to be cancer, all that would mean is that you got the short end of the evolutionary stick. It was science that cleared you, but science also could  have told you you were fucked.

Glad it turned out well for you, but even with science, nobody lives forever. Our bodies always fail long term, and we always die. Science only tells us what is going on, and at best, can only delay death.

There is no cure for time. Time takes everyone, regardless of how we die. But you are right, you don't need a God, or prayer to get through it.
Prostate cancer depends on one having a prostate. I'm out of that category now.
(July 10, 2019 at 8:42 pm)Brian37 Wrote:

Even if it had turned out  to be cancer, all that would mean is that you got the short end of the evolutionary stick. It was science that cleared you, but science also could  have told you you were fucked.

Glad it turned out well for you, but even with science, nobody lives forever. Our bodies always fail long term, and we always die. Science only tells us what is going on, and at best, can only delay death.

There is no cure for time. Time takes everyone, regardless of how we die. But you are right, you don't need a God, or prayer to get through it.

(July 10, 2019 at 8:46 pm)chimp3 Wrote:
(July 10, 2019 at 8:42 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Even if it had turned out  to be cancer, all that would mean is that you got the short end of the evolutionary stick. It was science that cleared you, but science also could  have told you you were fucked.

I have three healthy adult children and and two young grandchildren. Evolution is not a concern here.

(July 10, 2019 at 8:43 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Prostate cancer depends on one having a prostate. I'm out of that category now.

I have to go for a colonoscopy the end of this month. Ass cancer is a concern for me since I am an asshole!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Time sure as hell doesn't fly by when you're waiting for test results, does it?
Glad you checked out okay.
I’m glad you’re okay Chimp! ❤️
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(July 10, 2019 at 8:46 pm)chimp3 Wrote:
(July 10, 2019 at 8:42 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Even if it had turned out  to be cancer, all that would mean is that you got the short end of the evolutionary stick. It was science that cleared you, but science also could  have told you you were fucked.

I have three healthy adult children and and two young grandchildren. Evolution is not a concern here.

You got me beat. I drink like like a fish and smoke like chimney and will never have kids. All I was saying is I agreed with you in that you got this "scare" and didn't turn to mythology or fictional beings. 

Facing one's mortality is always scary. But like you said, you faced it without superstition or mythology. I'd like to think you'd have done the same if the news was cancer too. Not wishing cancer on you, just thinking you could be as centered as you said in your OP regardless of what was handed to you.

I used to belong to a Unitarian Church in Lynchburg Va. It was a diverse church full of every religion you can think of, including several atheists. Two of which were war vets. One guy I knew, whom since died, was a WW2 Vet whom served in Europe whom was an atheist then, and died an atheist. Another guy, a black guy I knew was a Vietnam Vet, and once told me of a heart attack he had suffered, long after the war, and didn't remember a thing. Point is, both of them saw shit no sane person should want to see. Both of them saw violence and faced death in combat, but neither prayed to a god or chalked their survival up to a sky hero. You went to a doctor, they saw something "suspect" and yea, that would scare the shit out of anyone. But, like them, you didn't chalk up your circumstances to magic.

Glad to hear you got the all clear.

My husband found out from the pulmonologist this morning that the spots on his lung are not cancer.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Very glad you're OK but I think I need the lung cookie fungus story now.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.