Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 4:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Putting it in my mouth
RE: Putting it in my mouth
(October 29, 2021 at 8:10 pm)Oldandeasilyconfused Wrote:
(October 29, 2021 at 6:25 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Tried baba ganoush for the first and last time. What a horrible thing to do to an innocent aubergine.

Boru

I think the Greeks have if in for eggplant. Although, having been to Greece I guess it may be due to poverty.

Ever tried moussaka? I have and don't like it much. It has the saving graces of having minced meat, red wine, tomato and  a nice bechamel on top. It can be forced down. Although I've never used potatoes I guess it wouldn't hurt. Although I have several recipes using Eggplant, can't remember the last time I made any. 

https://www.mygreekdish.com/recipe/mousakas/

Trivia; There are more Greeks in Melbourne than anywhere else outside if Greece.

Baba ganoush is Lebanese, not Greek.

I quite like moussaka. Reminds me of shepherd’s pie.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Bacon cheddar burgers with spicy pickles and BBQ sauce.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Stuffed serrano pepper, rice medley, and diced carrots. I must say, a serrano pepper is a rather hot one to choose to serve a generic Meals-On-Wheels customer.
(November 2, 2021 at 3:58 pm)Angrboda Wrote: Stuffed serrano pepper, rice medley, and diced carrots.  I must say, a serrano pepper is a rather hot one to choose to serve a generic Meals-On-Wheels customer.

Yes, I'll say. They might them mistake it for real food. Apparently standards have dropped since it was founded in the 1950's (here at least)
According to my mum who worked for meals on wheels for many years in the 1960's

Until the Covid19 catastrophe, I went to a community lunch with my men's group.  Three courses. Because I'm a pensioner, it cost me $3.
A great cook, an Italian lady. The food was very good if a little bland. But, she was cooking for a specific demographic; a bunch of geriatrics with very fixed palates.

As for me, gone are the days of pickled chilli and good Italian bread .Plus the curries I make today would make an Indian chef weep.
Bucatini with pecorino Romano, onions, bacon and tomato (leftovers).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Coffee and Dayquil.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(November 2, 2021 at 3:58 pm)Angrboda Wrote: Stuffed serrano pepper, rice medley, and diced carrots.  I must say, a serrano pepper is a rather hot one to choose to serve a generic Meals-On-Wheels customer.

I can imagine. We use diced serrano chiles in homemade pico de gallo and huevos Mexicanos - sparingly. Maybe someone mistook them for something more benign.
(November 2, 2021 at 8:56 pm)Jackalope Wrote:

I can imagine.  We use diced serrano chiles in homemade pico de gallo and huevos Mexicanos - sparingly.  Maybe someone mistook them for something more benign.

Maybe they weren't serrano peppers. They were the size of poblano peppers, but hotter than jalapenos.
(November 2, 2021 at 9:14 pm)Angrboda Wrote:
(November 2, 2021 at 8:56 pm)Jackalope Wrote: I can imagine.  We use diced serrano chiles in homemade pico de gallo and huevos Mexicanos - sparingly.  Maybe someone mistook them for something more benign.

Maybe they weren't serrano peppers.  They were the size of poblano peppers, but hotter than jalapenos.

Possible, I've run into some very unusually apicy poblanos.
Chicken enchiladas rojo with black beans and guacamole.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Star Wars plot holes? Wash your mouth out! ignoramus 3 533 May 23, 2019 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  "putting time in perspective," and some fun facts! Catholic_Lady 49 9569 July 15, 2015 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Putting Creed's Humanism Back thesummerqueen 5 3169 December 19, 2012 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  School putting too much emphasis on sports passionatefool 15 6422 November 10, 2011 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious