Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 4:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Putting it in my mouth
RE: Putting it in my mouth
Pot roast. I used a meat tenderizing tool that cuts a bunch of holes in the meat. I think it helped.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 7, 2021 at 11:20 pm)Angrboda Wrote: Pot roast.  I used a meat tenderizing tool that cuts a bunch of holes in the meat.  I think it helped.

I'm reminded of a story by Algis Budrys, where one of the characters screams, "Yield, wet devil!", as you hammer that meat.

A quote from a Sci Fi Story called, "The Amsirs and the Iron Thorn". It's a really schlock story, but then I was a kid at the time. Not too far off of the John Carter novels, where Mars was a habitable planet. The stuff I remember, these days.  Huh
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
It's been "finish the leftovers" day today. Pastrami fried up with some egg whites; a piece of chicken; some bacon.

Offset by the presence of freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies in the house, plus mass quantities of fudge from a shopping trip a couple of nights ago.
Kidney beans.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(November 8, 2021 at 1:16 am)Astreja Wrote: It's been "finish the leftovers" day today.  Pastrami fried up with some egg whites; a piece of chicken; some bacon.

Offset by the presence of freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies in the house, plus mass quantities of fudge from a shopping trip a couple of nights ago.

I loved Pastrami sandwiches from this kosher deli in New York. Supermarkets do sell a product the are pleased to call pastrami. There are no kosher Delis in Adelaide, there are I think 2 kosher butchers.  There have never ben many Jews in Adelaide as far as I know***

*** South Australia was founded as a Free Colony in 1836:

Adelaide (/ˈædəleɪd/ ([Image: 11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png]listen) AD-ə-layd)[8] is the capital city of South Australia,[9] the state's largest city and the fifth-most populous city of Australia. "Adelaide" may refer to either Greater Adelaide (including the Adelaide Hills) or the Adelaide city centre. The demonym Adelaidean is used to denote the city and the residents of Adelaide. Adelaide city centre was originally inhabited by a group of Kaurna people and known as Tarndanyangga ("place of the red kangaroo") – now the dual name of Victoria Square in the middle of the city – or Tarndanya.
Adelaide is situated on the Adelaide Plains north of the Fleurieu Peninsula, between the Gulf St Vincent in the west and the Mount Lofty Ranges in the east. Its metropolitan area extends 20 km (12 mi) from the coast to the foothills of the Mount Lofty Ranges, and stretches 96 km (60 mi) from Gawler in the north to Sellicks Beach in the south.
Named in honour of Queen Adelaide, the city was founded in 1836 as the planned capital for the only freely-settled British province in Australia.[10] Colonel William Light, one of Adelaide's founding fathers, designed the city centre and chose its location close to the River Torrens. Light's design, now listed as national heritage, set out the city centre in a grid layout known as "Light's Vision", interspaced by wide boulevards and large public squares, and entirely surrounded by parklands.

Adelaide - Wikipedia
Roast beef and Swiss with tomato chutney on dark rye.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 10, 2021 at 6:07 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Roast beef and Swiss with tomato chutney on dark rye.

Boru

Love dark rye. Not all that easy to get  here. The stuff  supermarkets  sell as 'dark rye" tends to have around 20% of rye grain. Proper bread is expensive and the loaves often smaller.  The rye I like is more like pumpernickel and chewy. Not like that overpriced muck which dissolves in the mouth. 

Oddly, my supermarket makes quite good baguettes. (yes, not cheap)***

Tonight more boneless pork leg. Cooked spiced, wrapped in foil, low and slow in my air fryer.  Must buy some more.

*** actually quite easy to make. The secret is a moist oven.  I bung in a tray of ice cubes below the dough.
(November 10, 2021 at 5:56 pm)Oldandeasilyconfused Wrote: I loved Pastrami sandwiches from this kosher deli in New York. Supermarkets do sell a product the are pleased to call pastrami. There are no kosher Delis in Adelaide, there are I think 2 kosher butchers.  There have never ben many Jews in Adelaide as far as I know***

I grew up in Montreal, where there were some great delis. One of the most famous was Ben's, where IIRC Leonard Cohen used to hang out and write. In Montreal the classic deli sandwich is smoked meat (called "Montreal-style smoked meat" elsewhere).

Winnipeg has a couple of good delis but I don't get out to them very much.
Scotch egg and a cuppa.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Last night a pizza with pineapple. I happen to like pineapple on my pizza. I make no claims of authenticity---yes, I've had pizza in Italy. .Very simple, very different; a minimum of topping.

Tonight stir fry chicken breast fillet with rice . Also chilli paste.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Star Wars plot holes? Wash your mouth out! ignoramus 3 533 May 23, 2019 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  "putting time in perspective," and some fun facts! Catholic_Lady 49 9575 July 15, 2015 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Putting Creed's Humanism Back thesummerqueen 5 3169 December 19, 2012 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  School putting too much emphasis on sports passionatefool 15 6424 November 10, 2011 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious