Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 4:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence
RE: Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence
(November 8, 2015 at 12:38 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I find the demand that unbelievable claims require unbelievable evidence to be outlandish. 

I see the problem here. You don't know what some of the words mean. Nobody has EVER said that an unbelievable claim requries unbelievable evidence. The line is that EXTRAORDINARY claims require EXTRAORDINARY evidence-- and extraordinary means "more than ordinary," not "unbelievable."

If I say it's raining, this is a highly ordinary claim. Almost everyone has so much real-life experience with rain that they are likely just to take my word for it; the ORDINARY evidence in this case is just my word. If, on the other hand, I claim it's literally raining frogs, people are unlikely to just take my word for it, as they have no experience with frogs falling from the sky; I now have to provide at least pictures, and these days probably a compelling video, and I will even have to take great pains to demonstrate that my pictures or video are not faked. Relatively speaking, these constitute EXTRAORDINARY evidence. That beings said, I at least know of frogs, of gravity, etc. I can kind of believe that frogs might, in very strange weather conditions, occasionally be lifted up into the sky, and therefore have the capacity to fall from it.

Now, let's take the claim, "God, the immaterial creator of everything, impregnated a virgin, who gave birth to God, who was also the Son of God, and who died, but rose from the dead D&D style and saved all of humanity." Fuck me-- I have no experience of ANY of those things. If I'm going to believe a word of it, I need credible evidence that there's a god, or that virgins get pregnant, or that people can come back from the dead after several days. I'm also going to need an explanation for how humanity is saved, when it very clearly fucking isn't saved in any way that means anything to me.

See? Rain-- one standard of evidence required. D&D bullshit claimed to be real-- a radically different standard of evidence required, and for good reason.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - by bennyboy - November 8, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 4725 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12603 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Testimony is Evidence RoadRunner79 588 121160 September 13, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true? Mudhammam 268 34046 February 3, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Anecdotal Evidence RoadRunner79 395 56006 December 14, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 13065 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The nature of evidence Wryetui 150 15895 May 6, 2016 at 6:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Witness Evidence RoadRunner79 248 37748 December 17, 2015 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Miracles are useless as evidence Pizza 0 1251 March 15, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Pizza
  On the nature of evidence. trmof 125 27839 October 26, 2014 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut