Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 18, 2024, 2:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just bought, wait for it, a BLU RAY disc?????
RE: I just bought, wait for it, a BLU RAY disc?????
(August 11, 2016 at 3:26 am)Banjo Wrote:
(August 10, 2016 at 5:53 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: What did you think of Whiplash?

I kind of hated it. Then I heard world class session ace Matt Chamberlain say it was not a movie about music, but men and generations. That gave me pause.

The premise for the music was all wrong though. Why would a young kid like him worship Buddy? That is not how a good teacher teaches. Practicing with bleeding hands was idiotic.[...]

My sentiments exactly - that movie was all kinds of wrong. It seemed like someone made a movie about music aimed at jocks, who can only comprehend violence. "Remember how your coach used to call you a useless c*nt, threw sh*t at you and buggered you in the shower? Yeah - that's how one learns jazz...", or "In order to be good at jazz you need to be able to play really, really fast..." Bollocks. 

Sure - some band leaders, like Buddy Rich, used to be extremely abusive towards their musicians, but they could only get away with it, because they were bosses of a private enterprise and nobody gave a sh*t what they did to their employees at the time. Nowadays, anyone working for a prestigious educational institution would be sacked immediately, if they were throwing chairs at students - doesn't matter what sort of genius they were. A broken wrist of a student could result in a multi-million dollar lawsuit - a conservatory is not a gym for orphans, that nobody cares if they live or die.

Also - what kind of moron would f*ck up their own performance, by purposefully playing a song one of the performers doesn't know, in order to "humiliate" the performer? The audience doesn't know, nor care who the guest drummer is - but they can see the famous conductor and his band stumble through their show. The whole ending of the movie was idiotic.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Messages In This Thread
I just bought, wait for it, a BLU RAY disc????? - by Banjo - August 10, 2016 at 5:43 am
RE: I just bought, wait for it, a BLU RAY disc????? - by Homeless Nutter - August 11, 2016 at 5:09 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wait, what?!! Questions about A Clash of Kings BrokenQuill92 2 621 March 14, 2016 at 3:16 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Pixel Art: Stevie Ray Vaughan, Number One Ryantology 3 1871 December 18, 2014 at 4:13 am
Last Post: Cato
  The wait BrokenQuill92 16 2103 June 21, 2014 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  So I bought a guitar popeyespappy 17 4684 April 6, 2013 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: ManMachine