Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 2:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sort of a complicated question, I'll try to ask. How was I born me and not another?
RE: Sort of a complicated question, I'll try to ask. How was I born me and not another?
(October 14, 2016 at 7:55 am)Vic Wrote: Fashionably late to the party and not caught up on the thread, but...

@OP, to me your question seems to come from the misunderstanding that there is some nebulous 'me' floating around waiting to become something,  be it a rock or a human being. Meanwhile all our observations would lead us to the conclusion that what you call 'me' is a byproduct of the functioning human brain. You didn't come to be this, you came to be because of it and since rocks are, afaik, incapable of consciousness, it's rather obvious why you - a consciousness - are not a rock.

PS. your username is serioisly perfect material for a band/album/song name. Fuckin rad man Big Grin
Thank you for the complement on my username! I understand what you mean, and I have been trying for the past 12 pages to communicate what I have been trying to ask. I know that a rock doesn't have consciousness. I am merely trying to ask what the probability of you actually being born is. People here are saying that the statistics of you being born are 100% because any probability of something that already happened is 100%. You could also say that a person's chance of winning the lottery who just won the lottery is 100%, if you're going by that logic. What I'm basically trying to ask, is, is being born basically like winning the cosmic lottery? Something tells me no, but I just don't really understand how it could be that after not existing for billions of years, I all of a sudden had the misfortune of being born onto planet earth. 

What I meant by being a rock instead of a human being, is that there's other forms of matter besides human beings which all came from star dust. It's conceivable that if a tree or a rock came from the same source of matter as me, then there was also a chance that what formed those pieces of matter could have also been me. So, what I was basically asking is, are there potential pieces of matter around us that didn't win the cosmic lottery to become a human being?

That is really what I have been trying to ask for the past dozen pages. And yes, one of the mods thinks I am a christian in disguise trying to find "chinks in the armor" to insert belief in god or something, which is 100% retarded rubbish. I am keeping at it though because I am honestly amazed that it's taken this long to ask this question. I actually think this is a good question, I think this question belongs on a vsauce video.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sort of a complicated question, I'll try to ask. How was I born me and not another? - by EruptedCarcassBloat - October 14, 2016 at 8:18 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Far Too Complicated For Creatards Minimalist 4 1518 April 7, 2016 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: ignoramus