Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 1:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we talk about Trump's war on the scientific community?
RE: Can we talk about Trump's war on the scientific community?
(January 25, 2017 at 11:50 am)Aegon Wrote: And the straight-up censorship that's coming with it?

Trump bans EPA employees from giving social media updates, talking to reporters
This is pure censorship.  These departments are now not permitted to disseminate any info on federally-funded research. This is research citizens have paid for and we deserve to have access to the results. The EPA was told to remove all info about global warming from its website. 

I'm old enough to remember when the Russians launched Sputnik that the U.S. was on a mission to improve science education and train scientists.  Now the govt is acting like science is less important than opinion or has no importance at all.

The scientific community is up in arms about this. Two marches are being planned for DC with satellite marches elsewhere.  One is in support of science (date to be announced) and one on 4/29/17 about climate change.

Marches get attention, but we have to each do our part to let our Congress members know how we feel ---phone, email, postcards, letters.  Note, Paul Ryan has shut off his office phone and fax and has refused to accept boxes of petitions, so you must send letters or postcards to him.  (I have his home and office addresses if anyone wants them, but I'm sure you can find them online.)  Several people reported that Trump's phone line is off.  Someone suggested that if you cannot get through, to call Trump hotels and asking the staff to pass on messages. (Be polite --those people are not WH staffers, just the recipients of caller's opinions.) 

There was a post on the Daily Kos on 1/27/17 about leaks from White House staff about how Trump is given facts about all kinds of things, but he won't listen.  He has an idea in his head and goes with what he thinks or believes with no evidence.  (Apparently he never reads, does research, or consults experts or opposing opinions, just listens to Bannon.)  Most of the staff are coming to the conclusion that he is off-balance and crazy. The one whistle blower will certainly be fired if s/he is discovered, but has been posting to twitter anonymously.  Of course, that could mean s/he is or is not a real staff member at the WH. 

I read that some of the nominees to DJT's cabinet who have been confirmed were sworn in by Pence because they didn't want their pictures taken with Trump.  Because the VP is the President of the Senate, maybe that is who usually swears in cabinet members.  I tried to look it up, but couldn't find anything specific, but I saw some photos of the swearing in of JFK's cabinet and JFK seemed to be doing it himself ---or at least he was in the photos. And I understand Trump swore in a few.

I am convinced that DJT is suffering from NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder.)  Look up the symptoms online.  Some are that he has no empathy. He made horrible and ruthless comments about immigrants, Muslims, women, etc. yet a symptom of the disorder is that he can't take even the slightest of negative comments about himself.  He obsesses about  constant approval, apparently to the point that his staff is afraid to tell him the truth about things he obsesses about ----such as that he lost the popular vote and had a lot fewer attendees at his inauguration than W or Obama ---and can't stop talking about them, even though that puts his lower numbers in everyone's minds constantly. 

Almost every state has already reported there have been no, or only a few incidences of fraudulent votes.  The head of the election board in RI said she went back 20 years and found only 1 incident ---a college student who throughout she could vote where she went to school. It was considered to be a mistake and dismissed. In AZ there was one incident in 5 years of a person who moved to AZ and also voted in a different state.  That was fraud & dealt with.  In a PA court case opposing the voter ID law, the judge asked the legislature to report all incidents of voter fraud and they come up with zero. Almost everyone but paranoid Trump thinks its a non-issue, yet he will spend tax-payer money for a study in an attempt to prove millions of illegals voted against him (but only wants to investigate the states where he lost.) If they find that it didn't happen, I doubt he will believe it and then will lie about the results or claim it is a conspiracy against him.

As someone else noted, no one at govt agencies can guarantee that the info on their websites will ever be posted again, so suggested everyone who can or is interested in a particular study or info should copy and paste it somewhere to keep it.  I hope the staff do that, too. If they can get away with it, they should copy the info to flash drives and post it on an unofficial site, similar to the one created as an alternate site for the National Park Service after its twitter account was closed down.
The problem with those who choose received Authority over fact and logic is how they choose which part of Authority to obey. The Bible famously contradicts itself at many points (I have never understood why any Christian would choose the Old Testament over the New), and the Koran can be read as a wonderfully compassionate and humanistic document. Which suggests that the problem of fundamentalism lies not with authority, but with ourselves.” ~Molly Ivins

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can we talk about Trump's war on the scientific community? - by CWoods - January 28, 2017 at 3:54 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two things I want to talk about, politics wise ShinyCrystals 39 2748 September 23, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: no one
  Sudan: The real cause behind the war WinterHold 4 519 June 14, 2023 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Let's talk Parental Leave Cecelia 10 1075 October 17, 2021 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Spongebob
Information The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan. alextruesay 60 3769 August 26, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Trump declaring civil war, turning to global WW3 WinterHold 19 948 November 9, 2020 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1153 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  People do not know how close they really are until they start a war with somebody WinterHold 5 1005 October 10, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  The proxies of today are the world war of tomorrow WinterHold 6 1179 April 29, 2019 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  War is nonsense and manipulation and there is no reason to fight? Interaktive 47 3653 March 31, 2019 at 9:41 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Nukes: post your imagined scenario of the next war WinterHold 46 3602 February 24, 2019 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: WinterHold