Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 12:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still a Christian - ask me questions/tell me about yourselves
RE: Still a Christian - ask me questions/tell me about yourselves
(October 13, 2017 at 10:54 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: To the OP:

As one of the few Christian members of AF I would like to share with you my journey from being a Christian-In-Name-Only to a staunch atheist only to find myself earnestly turning back to faith in Jesus Christ with a renewed understanding of the Truth and Life only He can offer. You can find...My Story Here

It is right and proper to question your faith. Paradoxically, I think that the deeper your faith the more profoundly you question the doctrines. Doubt is not a sign of a lack of faith but rather an indication of your commitment to it.

To address one of your points directly. It does not matter if the Genesis creation story is literally true or whether evolution happened. I am a Christian. I accept evolution in general albeit with allowance for some implicit teleology. All that matters is that we recognize God alone as the Creator and Ground of Being regardless of the how. As far as I am concerned the story begins not at Gen 1:1 but rather at John 1:1.

As for the reliability of the Gospels, I am not an expert or scholar on such matters, although I can read a little bit of Hebrew, and like to follow developments in biblical archaeology.. There is quite a bit of debate, as you can see. If you read the Gospels according to the standards and conventions of classical literature of the time (such as Plutarch's Lives) most of the so-called contradictions becomes insignificant. The writers of the Gospels, like other writers of the time were less interested in factual accuracy than revealing the character and import of Jesus and His ministry. And that is what matters most. His Love and Sacrifice. Not whether a Roman centurion visited Jesus in person or by proxy.

I've always been curious to know your conversion story, chad. Looking forward to reading this. ❤
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Messages In This Thread
RE: Still a Christian - ask me questions/tell me about yourselves - by Catholic_Lady - October 13, 2017 at 1:05 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you still cook if you diddn't have to? Angrboda 41 2299 October 30, 2023 at 3:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Brace yourselves... Christmas is coming! T.J. 71 3624 December 25, 2021 at 11:22 am
Last Post: brewer
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 706 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Thumbs Up Tell me YOUR weather is this screwed up. onlinebiker 5 681 April 15, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  You can tell it' s REALLY cold out when - onlinebiker 13 1385 January 31, 2019 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Take It, Or leave it, I can still say Voulez Vous Brian37 7 1133 November 29, 2018 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: adey67
  (Yet Another) Tell Us About You Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 40 2925 September 12, 2018 at 6:25 am
Last Post: Lucanus
Heart Tell us your ethnicity with food pics *Deidre* 138 21383 May 19, 2018 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Tell us your age with a picture Foxaèr 74 9370 May 14, 2018 at 2:53 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  I will tell you a secret Foxaèr 16 2888 May 2, 2018 at 10:58 am
Last Post: vorlon13