Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 5:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shroud of Turin more legit after research?
RE: Shroud of Turin more legit after research?
(April 9, 2018 at 12:29 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Agreed, it's not a painting in any traditional sense. It likely involved pressing the wet cloth against a bas relief sculpture and using a browning agent or process, but which of the available agents or processes was actually used is not readily apparent.

I suppose that's possible and if produced naturally that would have been the most likely method. At the same time, the range of chemicals available during the period was pretty limited...we're taking about the age of alchemy here, although it was also the age of guild trade secrets and the formula could have been easily lost and forgotten. After all, no one knows exactly how Rembrandt achieved his impasto textures either - whether he used some kind of meglip or egg whites. (I think resins have been ruled out).

I don't have dog in this fight. As a Christian I don't rule out miracles but at the same time my faith doesn't hinge on a piece of cloth. Hoaxes were pretty common during the middle ages. You could build a small village from pieces wood said to have come from the True Cross. My only point was that naive skepticism, like assuming it was painted, is nearly as bad a naive gullibility.

(April 9, 2018 at 2:00 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Someone on reddit enlightened you?
Are we sure it wasn't from 4chan?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Shroud of Turin more legit after research? - by Neo-Scholastic - April 9, 2018 at 3:35 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bombardier Challenger 604 'totaled' after A380 wake turbulence event vorlon13 1 722 June 14, 2017 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Dr. Graham Phillips research on meditation Little Rik 3 962 June 12, 2016 at 6:15 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  Who the hell believes this is a legit study I ask? Mystical 6 1461 May 7, 2014 at 3:09 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Research shows radiometric dating still reliable (again) orogenicman 7 3093 November 16, 2010 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: orogenicman