Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 29, 2024, 7:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion shouldn't be called a race.
RE: Religion shouldn't be called a race.
(July 4, 2018 at 10:58 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(July 4, 2018 at 10:15 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: Like it or not, there does appear to be a correlation between belonging to those religions and belonging to certain ethnic or racial groups.  It probably requires more than that to conclude from someone's remark about a particular religion or religious adherent that they are stereotyping unfairly on the basis of that ethnic or racial correlation, but it does make a strong prima facie case that such comments might be directed at assumptions about race or ethnicity rather than religion.

No, there are social traditions associated to geography yes. But again, our species has always moved around and mixed. And it is possible, just like with Christianity to be spread out and of different skin tones, and belong to the same religion. It is also possible to say to oneself "I no longer buy what my parents/society sold me" regardless of skin tone or geography.

Religion is religion, geography is geography. None of either change the fact that social norms and borders change over time and humans mix. I do not give any religion in the world a pass on this. 

There are Irish and black Catholics and their are Irish atheists. Their are atheist Israelis and Muslim Israelis. There are also Chinese Christians too.

http://www.christiansinchina.com/

And there are Chinese Muslims too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_China

Geography only denotes geography, and while some social norms are majorities, it still remains humans have always moved and mixed.

That doesn't answer the objection. That there are exceptions does not refute the case that there are also valid generalities. Since the correlations I was noting were to race and ethnicity, your claim that they do not correlate to geography is simply beside the point.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Religion shouldn't be called a race. - by Brian37 - July 4, 2018 at 9:10 am
RE: Religion shouldn't be called a race. - by Brian37 - July 4, 2018 at 10:37 am
RE: Religion shouldn't be called a race. - by Angrboda - July 4, 2018 at 10:15 am
RE: Religion shouldn't be called a race. - by Brian37 - July 4, 2018 at 10:58 am
RE: Religion shouldn't be called a race. - by Angrboda - July 4, 2018 at 11:06 am
RE: Religion shouldn't be called a race. - by Brian37 - July 4, 2018 at 11:25 am
RE: Religion shouldn't be called a race. - by Joods - July 4, 2018 at 11:09 am
RE: Religion shouldn't be called a race. - by Brian37 - July 4, 2018 at 1:23 pm
RE: Religion shouldn't be called a race. - by Angrboda - July 4, 2018 at 3:14 pm
RE: Religion shouldn't be called a race. - by Joods - July 4, 2018 at 10:37 am
RE: Religion shouldn't be called a race. - by Brian37 - July 4, 2018 at 12:46 pm
RE: Religion shouldn't be called a race. - by brewer - July 4, 2018 at 12:47 pm
RE: Religion shouldn't be called a race. - by Aegon - July 4, 2018 at 1:13 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A TV documentary called "Mafia vs. KKK" neil 4 409 January 20, 2024 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Bait and switch using race to avoid religion. Brian37 8 1783 April 5, 2015 at 10:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho