Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 12:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can IT protect people from their own stupidity?
RE: Can IT protect people from their own stupidity?
(July 17, 2018 at 9:56 pm)Jehanne Wrote: I understand what you are saying; maybe a non-profit certification authority could do the heavy-lifting?

How would sites be certified? What would certification actually mean? Would Joe "Look, Ma, I can do WordPress all by myself" Schmo be able to get certified? What if, after certification, their site gets pwned one way or another? What about false positives - sites still in development that are mistakenly/accidentally pushed to the public (it happens more than it should)?

There are a ton of sites out there. New, legit sites are popping up all the time. We're only just beginning to get heavy SSL adoption with Let's Encrypt, but, from a technological standpoint, it's child's play. Especially on shared hosting where it's literally a control panel button click. As a defined problem, it's trivial - is the connection between client and host encrypted? Determining a site's overall safety, or, even more, it's intent is a much harder problem to solve.

Not saying it can't be done, but it's not as simple as just making a white list of certified sites and calling it a day. There's a lot to consider, especially regarding the tension between how stringent the hypothetical certification process would be and the idea of an open internet. That, and browser adoption. The vendors have their own interests, and generally speaking, one of Apple/Microsoft is usually absent of any kind of joint foundation whose mission is setting some kind of web standard.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can IT protect people from their own stupidity? - by KevinM1 - July 17, 2018 at 10:39 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  6 Flags and their new 3 axis Puk-o-lator vorlon13 18 2098 September 1, 2017 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why do Rechargable Batteries Lose Their Capacity to Held Energy? Rhondazvous 6 1586 October 27, 2015 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Does Building Your Own Computer Still Save Money? goddamnit 11 6190 July 21, 2012 at 4:42 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  So who's ready for their tracking implants? (You probably already have one) tackattack 20 6559 May 9, 2011 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn