Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 10:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
RE: My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
(July 19, 2018 at 2:05 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:That make no sense whatsoever.

Nonetheless, it is true.  There were all sorts of bizarre beliefs current among xtians in the early centuries according to xtian writers who were denouncing them.  One by one they were exterminated or absorbed by the ultimate winners, the proto-orthodox as Ehrman calls them, with the final nail being the Edict of Thessalonica in 380.

Thus did trinitarianism spread in the Roman world.  Not by "faith" but by political repression.  I'm sure you approve, Stevie.  You seem like the type.

When did Arianism appear? What 315-320?  Here's your reasoning:

1. Nearly all Christians believed in the Trinity for 250+years
2. Someone new came along (Arius) with "Jesus is a demigod" nearly 300 years after Jesus
3. Within 10 or so years, Church leaders determine heresy with a vote of 300 bishops to 2. (Council of Nicea 325)
4. Leaders got tired of the heresy being propagated in certain corners and cracked down. 
5. Therefore "trinitarianism spread in the Roman world.  Not by "faith" but by political repression" and became set for all time. 

Brilliantly done.

Messages In This Thread
RE: My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? - by SteveII - July 19, 2018 at 3:28 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why, God? Why?! LadyForCamus 233 31107 June 5, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  "My God, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?" Was Jesus Really Sinless? Rhondazvous 46 7292 May 14, 2015 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q