Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"My God, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?" Was Jesus Really Sinless?
"My God, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?" Was Jesus Really Sinless?
We are told that Jesus obeyed his father. This is what he said about himself. No, this is what was written about him. Like Pythegorus before him, Jesus left no writings of his own that we know about. But was he really the obedient son?

Matthew 15: 24
He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel."

Then he gives hks disciples the proverbial great commission to go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.

We are told that god does not change. But, clearly here, somebody changed. If it wasn't god who changed, then it must have been Jesus. If Jesus was only sent to Israel )notice it doesn't say to Israel first. It says only to Israel_ then takes it upon himself to go to the gentiles, how can he have been obedient?

Numbers 15:32-36
 Now while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. 33 And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation. 34 They put him under guard, because it had not been explained what should be done to him.
35 Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man must surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” 36 So, as the Lord commanded Moses, all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, and he died.

Keeping the sabbath must be very important to the Lord if the penalty for violating it is death.  But Jesus taught his disciples to think of the sabbath as as a recommendation they could disregard when it was inconvenient.

Matthew 12:1
At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them.

I guess gathering stiks is more offensive to god than gathering corn.

Jesus set a precedent of giving lip service to honoring the scriptures while comkpletely disregarding their practice that the church still follows today.
Matthew 5:18
"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished

Had all been accomplished when he and his disciples gathered the corn?

Matthew 5:19
Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

So Jesus must be the least in his own kingdom.

Jesus Christ, Superstar

Is it any wonder that in the end his god (not his father) forsook him?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: "My God, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?" Was Jesus Really Sinless?
You know there was a law of Moses that said they couldn't mix 2 different kinds of cloth (stuff that gets woven together).
That was given to illustrated to us, that we are not supposed to mix the old testament with the new.
You guys love to do that (along with many Christian leaders).

a New Covenant, just like a new testament (or will) voids the old one.
Jesus FULFILLED the old one.
It was in place until the curtain of the temple was split when He died- He said "It is finished".
Meaning- both His suffering as the Lamb of God, in our place, And that old covenant was over with.
What is left of the old covenant is prophecies, shadows and types and promises.  NOT the laws.

Jesus was sent to the Jews.
He then sent His apostles with the Spirit of God to the gentiles.

Jesus HAD to be without blemish- just as the lamb for the old covenant had to be without blemish.
Because only one without sin could pay for another, in the accomplishment of total justice.
A divine exchange, in this case- the Judge taking the penalty for the guilty.
(May 1, 2015 at 2:57 pm)professor Wrote: You know there was a law of Moses that said they couldn't mix 2 different kinds of cloth (stuff that gets woven together).
That was given to illustrated to us, that we are not supposed to mix the old testament with the new.
You guys love to do that (along with many Christian leaders).

You sound like an author of a book that interprets dreams. Dreaming of snakes climbing up stairs means that you will get arrested for illegally migrating to Lichtenstein.

Where do you come up this stuff? How can you possibly take that one very specific law and twist it into something that far off?
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
Quote:But, clearly here, somebody changed. If it wasn't god who changed, then it must have been Jesus.

But, but, but Jesus = God....or so the asswipes claim.
Interesting how our professing professor references an OT law to tell us why the OT is no longer in effect.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Is it really "Why hast thou forsaken me"?

Or is it just another translation error and was really "Why hast thou de-foreskinned me"?
Ever hear of an illustration?
Take what I said about mixing cloths as a shadow and type.
Maybe that will go down better?
We take everything you say with a grain of salt.
(May 1, 2015 at 3:17 pm)Minimalist Wrote: We take everything you say with a grain of salt.

Followed by a gulp of tequila.
The OT says not to follow the OT anymore, which means this rule doesn't apply, so we do follow the OT, which means the rule does apply, so we don't follow the OT anymore...

Confusing for my pea brain Big Grin
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2692 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 17905 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Why is Jesus in third place when he deserves first? Greatest I am 25 4526 September 22, 2020 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 5523 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 8895 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Why, God? Why?! LadyForCamus 233 29107 June 5, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 5309 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Jesus as Lord - why is this appealing to so many? KevinM1 307 28605 February 14, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Why Didn't Jesus Write? Athena777 85 12322 January 29, 2017 at 2:09 am
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  Why do Christians believe in the Resurrection of Jesus but not alien abductions? Jehanne 72 11489 June 27, 2016 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink