Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 9:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When the AI wakes up the first thing it will do is...
RE: When the AI wakes up the first thing it will do is...
(October 13, 2018 at 2:53 am)Aoi Magi Wrote:
(October 13, 2018 at 2:10 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: I disagree with that also.     I think at its core self awareness is a preset tendency to organize both preprogrammed and learned information in a specific way, and use those information to solve problems in a specific way.   So the lynchpin of self awareness is the hardware or firmware rather than the information.    I can not see how any amount of information will necessitate or encourage the framing of any problem in the context of self if the hardware or firmware is not already there.   So a machine can’t learn its way to self awareness unless it already been given extensive wiring configured to frame problem in the context of self.

Then you misunderstand, any AI setup will not become self-aware if it has no room for adapting to face unspecified problems and situations. if it can only solve one specific problem or even only a fixed subset of problems, it can't reach the level of AGI and can't be self-aware in the sense of a conscious being. In order to reach AGI level, the "pre-programmed" part of it will have to enable it to work in non-predefined situations. Also, algorithms are not entirely dependent on hardware.

I don’t agree with that.   In humans, self-awareness in all likelihood arose as an aid to solving unspecified problems, therefore self-awareness as we experience them seem to contain a strong element of formulating framework for new problems.   I grant it may seem reasonable to suppose the same may be true to various degrees of most self-awareness that evolved biologically in the Darwinian fashion.

But in an AI the self-awareness firmware or hardware could be entirely designed and fabricated for a different purpose.   So an machine can be made self aware entirely without inclination or ability whatsoever to address any but a narrow predefined set of problems.

(October 13, 2018 at 6:15 am)Mathilda Wrote: The whole idea of an AI existing in the data realm of the Internet is implausible. Because if it isn't embodied in the real world then that data will be meaningless to it.

Why can’t Data be meaningful to it through some pre-defined software algorithms and objective?

(October 13, 2018 at 5:34 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: You do realize that this won't be a planned event, right? That the AI will come about because of random events? Therefore what the AI "wants" or plans to do is completely unpredictable.

It doesn’t matter whether it is planned or not.  No one planned for all the attributes that makes Homo sapiens to coalesce in right proportions in us, but there is still a reason why we ended up with each of them in that proportion.   There must still be a path leading to self-awareness in AI, with a large number of of causes and effects, many in parallel, other sin series, propelling the processes from beginning to the end.   It’s silly to hand wave and say attributes we think are correlated to self-awareness will just arise and coalesce in the same entry as if by magic when self-awareness arose.

Messages In This Thread
RE: When the AI wakes up the first thing it will do is... - by Anomalocaris - October 13, 2018 at 8:44 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cortana thing Katia81 5 1226 April 1, 2017 at 10:40 am
Last Post: Katia81