Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 12:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charged with Dei-cide.
RE: Charged with Dei-cide.
Quote:“Jesus was not saying we should literally 'hate' our parents etc. He is saying we should put Him FIRST before our parents etc

Isn't it a little presumptuous of you to correct your own 'god,' Cox? Do you claim to know better than god himself what he means?

Quote:
New International Version (©1984)
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple.

New Living Translation (©2007)
"If you want to be my disciple, you must hate everyone else by comparison--your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple.

English Standard Version (©2001)
“If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

International Standard Version (©2008)
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father, mother, wife, children, brothers, and sisters, as well as his own life, he can't be my disciple.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
“Whoever comes to me and does not hate his father and his mother and his brothers and his sisters and his wife and his children and even himself, he cannot be my disciple.”

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
"If people come to me and are not ready to abandon their fathers, mothers, wives, children, brothers, and sisters, as well as their own lives, they cannot be my disciples.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brothers, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

American King James Version
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brothers, and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

American Standard Version
If any man cometh unto me, and hateth not his own father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Bible in Basic English
And turning round, he said to them, If any man comes to me, and has not hate for his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, and even for his life, he may not be my disciple.

Douay-Rheims Bible
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Darby Bible Translation
If any man come to me, and shall not hate his own father and mother, and wife, and children, and brothers, and sisters, yea, and his own life too, he cannot be my disciple;

English Revised Version
If any man cometh unto me, and hateth not his own father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Webster's Bible Translation
If any man cometh to me, and hateth not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Weymouth New Testament
"If any one is coming to me who does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes and his own life also, he cannot be a disciple of mine.

Young's Literal Translation
'If any one doth come unto me, and doth not hate his own father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brothers, and sisters, and yet even his own life, he is not able to be my disciple;

Here are 18 parallel translations of the line in question: 17 insist that the word is "hate." ( One bozo comes up with "abandon.") Was that you?

Messages In This Thread
Charged with Dei-cide. - by Lehrling - October 19, 2011 at 1:36 am
RE: Charged with Dei-cide. - by Minimalist - October 19, 2011 at 1:38 am
RE: Charged with Dei-cide. - by Jackalope - October 19, 2011 at 1:45 am
RE: Charged with Dei-cide. - by Lehrling - October 19, 2011 at 1:54 am
RE: Charged with Dei-cide. - by Minimalist - October 19, 2011 at 1:56 am
RE: Charged with Dei-cide. - by Lehrling - October 19, 2011 at 2:05 am
RE: Charged with Dei-cide. - by KichigaiNeko - October 19, 2011 at 2:05 am
RE: Charged with Dei-cide. - by Rayaan - October 19, 2011 at 2:23 am
RE: Charged with Dei-cide. - by Erinome - October 19, 2011 at 3:35 am
RE: Charged with Dei-cide. - by LastPoet - October 19, 2011 at 3:38 am
RE: Charged with Dei-cide. - by Justtristo - October 19, 2011 at 4:56 am