Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 2:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hillbilly Elegy
RE: Hillbilly Elegy
This same story has been told, more than once or twice.

Never read tis or seen the movie. One of my hillbilly grannies read angelas ashes and told me it wasn't worth a shit, lol..so I never ended up getting around to any of his stuff. Vances story seeks to explain what he sees as the decline of rural culture by it's loss of manliness and old timey religion - by the damage wrought by drug addicts and the countless poor masses who are only poor because they lack the wit or wherewithal to bootstrap themselves up and out - too busy beating their wives and children, and whatnot.

IDK if that's what Frank McCourt wrote about, but if so...I guess my hillbilly granny had him pegged - and...again because this is very important, there's nothing in there that screams out appalachian experience to me. Seems like he came from a shitty family and he didn't quite escape whatever shitty ideas his shitty experiences lead him to. All of this while stoking the flames of white victimization in a bid to insist that any other thing must explain the bigoted lurch of rightwing america. What I saw were good families working hard and making good decisions and watching the american dream slip further and further away. It's not that we didn't know people like the characters in vances story..just that they were the aberration and the cautionary tale and the thing we had to be thankful for all at once. His story might explain him and what he believes..and it was very clearly intended to serve this purpose - but it has nothing to do with us.

Brutal honesty, it's a story about welfare queens and rural savages in need of conservative civilizing laundered as a primer on americans to a gullible and willing audience. Many of whom, left and right, have wholly swallowed this particular flavor of koolaid looooong ago. It's uniquely gruesome in that the very ideology which the author is selling is the force which has palpably victimized those americans and now courts them as though only it has their interests at heart. I'd say he gets one thing right precisely because he gets so much wrong. Rural americans own choices are the heart of their troubles - and that choice has been to sign off on the fantasy being sold by people like Vance.

But, you know.....they got glenn close to do it - and didn't mention any of that, so.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
Hillbilly Elegy - by Spongebob - December 1, 2020 at 9:34 am
RE: Hillbilly Elegy - by Foxaèr - December 1, 2020 at 9:37 am
RE: Hillbilly Elegy - by The Grand Nudger - December 1, 2020 at 9:54 am
RE: Hillbilly Elegy - by Spongebob - December 1, 2020 at 10:51 am
RE: Hillbilly Elegy - by Foxaèr - December 1, 2020 at 9:57 am
RE: Hillbilly Elegy - by Ranjr - December 1, 2020 at 10:51 am
RE: Hillbilly Elegy - by The Grand Nudger - December 1, 2020 at 10:59 am
RE: Hillbilly Elegy - by Spongebob - December 1, 2020 at 11:16 am
RE: Hillbilly Elegy - by Gawdzilla Sama - December 1, 2020 at 11:57 am
RE: Hillbilly Elegy - by The Grand Nudger - December 1, 2020 at 12:00 pm
RE: Hillbilly Elegy - by Spongebob - December 1, 2020 at 2:34 pm