Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 9:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?"
RE: "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?"
The Grand Nudger Wrote:it's not authoritarianism to suggest that some crimes are committed by people who simply don't know any better or have nothing better.
Then what is authoritarianism? And why punishing adultery with prison would not be authoritarianism? That is what you are suggesting, right? If you ask me, such a suggestion has far less merit than the suggestion that people should be thrown into jail for eating meat.
The Grand Nudger Wrote:They didn't have the benefit of hindsight as you and I do now, and that certainly wasn't their expectation.
I am not sure what you mean? What was their expectation? That they will be remembered as heroes for joining an illegal army that attacked a hospital? Makes zero sense.
The Grand Nudger Wrote:A thing being bad does not suggest imply or demonstrate that it does not exist.
Sure. But prisons existing would contradict the Principle of Rationality. Massacres and terrorist attacks happening does not contradict the Principle of Rationality because it does not require any group of people to be systemically biased. In massacres, it does not matter that most soldiers desert, as long as there are some soldiers who do not desert, a massacre will happen. But prisons existing requires politicians to be systemically biased towards believing prisons should exist.

(January 5, 2021 at 1:15 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(January 5, 2021 at 9:36 am)FlatAssembler Wrote: The same reason I am more likely to listen to somebody speaking English than somebody speaking Croatian. If somebody is speaking English, he is likely more intelligent (enough to master a second language) and has probably studied foreign literature on the subject.

I barely squeaked out a 123 on my last IQ test, I have no talent for languages. I am good at spotting pomposity.

Well, my IQ is not a lot higher, it is 125.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?" - by FlatAssembler - January 5, 2021 at 1:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 5324 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 9169 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  People are not 'Going to Hell' - they're already in Hell. The Kreisel 22 2553 February 18, 2021 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 7464 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 14125 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 4436 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Help me not fear heaven/hell Fleeing Jesus 128 14126 June 18, 2019 at 5:08 am
Last Post: SenseMaker007
  Who do not atheists believe? Interaktive 12 2392 March 25, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Choosing to/not to Believe? Not Possible? JairCrawford 61 9965 July 1, 2018 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why do people believe that Beowulf is fiction? I_am_not_mafia 59 13656 June 6, 2018 at 6:02 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama