Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 9:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Space junk, a danger to space exploration.
RE: Space junk, a danger to space exploration.
(April 2, 2021 at 4:08 pm)SUNGULA Wrote:
(April 2, 2021 at 4:03 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Even outside space exploration, humans have been "kicking the can down the road" on burning fossile fuels, and for far too long.
True, But that really addresses this particular can, And then there is the question of are we just going to have to keep building tougher ships till we can make them tougher?

My ultimate take on our species is this. We are an invasive species. And right now, at this point in history, I don't think collectively we recognize at this point we are on the verge of becoming a victim of our own success. It is true we have made massive strides in knowlege and innovation, but at the same time, we have sped up concumption. And as much as we call innovation progress, of which not all is bad, we have sped up the pace of consumption. 

I most certianly love the fact I can use a laptop instead of the Pony express. But at the same time, the bigger human population increases, the more resources we comete for. I'd only point out, that the bigger our species population becomes, the more competition for resources there is, and the more expensive it becomes, and the more humans fight over those resources.

Ultimately, I really think humans need to focus on earth, here and now, and accept that human population managment is as important as resource managment. I love the idea of space exploration, but space tourism is bullshit right now.

Messages In This Thread
Space junk, a danger to space exploration. - by Brian37 - April 2, 2021 at 1:54 pm
RE: Space junk, a danger to space exploration. - by Brian37 - April 2, 2021 at 4:18 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stephen Colbert with Space Archaeologist, Sarah Parcak Minimalist 1 747 January 9, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  3D printing, self-replication and space travel FifthElement 8 2196 November 6, 2014 at 12:10 am
Last Post: FifthElement
  The word for moving thought space Gooders1002 11 3662 June 9, 2013 at 7:32 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Space-X CRS-1 Launch popeyespappy 3 1989 October 7, 2012 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: jonb
  Space Propulsion fuckass365 30 10165 May 22, 2012 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The Fabric of the Cosmos: What Is Space? Gooders1002 0 1312 May 4, 2012 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002
  Junk DNA and creationism little_monkey 0 2003 December 3, 2011 at 9:23 am
Last Post: little_monkey