Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Space Propulsion
Space Propulsion
I had originally posted this in the Space Travel Vs. Creator thread but it is somewhat off topic so I figured I'd make me own thread.

NASA seems to have settled on using a plasma engine as early as 2013. They plan to use this to shuttle humans to and from Mars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrc-fP_EqF8

Also, does anyone think Warp Drives are feasible? It seems like it could work, in theory.

http://aerorocket.com/WarpMetrics.html
RE: Space Propulsion
I want to clarify that, in the other thread, when I said said that exploring our own solar system is a waste of time, I was exaggerating. Of course there is plenty to discover in our own back yard. My point is that I wish deep space propulsion research would get more funding, as I think it would change everything. I also think that, until we improve our current propulsion systems, we can't really accomplish much, even in the same neighborhood.

That being said, I am excited by the strides that have been made so far. Unfortunately true speed won't even be possible with a manned vessel until they invent dampening fields. Heh!

I'd like to think that 'warp drives', so to speak, will be possible some day, but first we have to figure out a bit more about the structure of the universe itself.
Quote:but first we have to figure out a bit more about the structure of the universe itself.

Goddidit....just ask one of our resident nutbags.
(April 18, 2012 at 9:47 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:but first we have to figure out a bit more about the structure of the universe itself.

Goddidit....just ask one of our resident nutbags.

I would like to apologize to all Theists on behalf of Minimalist for this deeply offensive statement.
We of course carefully consider the opinion of all nutbags and would gladly welcome a five hour lecture on how space travel is a waste of time because it would only confirm Gods existence when we found him in the far reaches of space stroking his beard.
We would however ask that you continue to change the font size to 50 and make it a bright color as our attention spans are evidently too short to read normal sized writing.

Thanks for your understanding. :-)
(April 18, 2012 at 9:42 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: I want to clarify that, in the other thread, when I said said that exploring our own solar system is a waste of time, I was exaggerating. Of course there is plenty to discover in our own back yard. My point is that I wish deep space propulsion research would get more funding, as I think it would change everything. I also think that, until we improve our current propulsion systems, we can't really accomplish much, even in the same neighborhood.

That being said, I am excited by the strides that have been made so far. Unfortunately true speed won't even be possible with a manned vessel until they invent dampening fields. Heh!

I'd like to think that 'warp drives', so to speak, will be possible some day, but first we have to figure out a bit more about the structure of the universe itself.

Yes, and the current model relies on "negative energy" which is of quantum theory.
Problem is, I think the laws of physics, the vast (and increasing) distance between us and our stellar neighbours in the cosmos, and our finite lifespans may stump man's attempts at deep space exploration every time.

It maybe a futile venture, but to persist boldly in the face of insurmountable challenges is what makes us human, and how we've achieved anything worthwhile to begin with.
(April 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: Problem is, I think the laws of physics, the vast (and increasing) distance between us and our stellar neighbours in the cosmos, and our finite lifespans may stump man's attempts at deep space exploration every time.

It maybe a futile venture, but to persist boldly in the face of insurmountable challenges is what makes us human, and how we've achieved anything worthwhile to begin with.

If we could get a warp drive to work we could cover extremely long distances rather quickly.
Creating a warp drive is going to require a major break through in our understanding of the structure of the universe/reality. It would be difficult to 'warp' time/space without an understand of what we are actually 'warping'.
(April 19, 2012 at 2:29 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: Creating a warp drive is going to require a major break through in our understanding of the structure of the universe/reality. It would be difficult to 'warp' time/space without an understand of what we are actually 'warping'.

Yeah, but it seems we have a good idea on how it would work. We just have no idea how to go about it lol.
(April 19, 2012 at 2:27 pm)Mosrhun Wrote: If we could get a warp drive to work we could cover extremely long distances rather quickly.
Regrettably that is still the stuff of science fiction.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Space junk, a danger to space exploration. Brian37 37 2456 April 3, 2021 at 7:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Stephen Colbert with Space Archaeologist, Sarah Parcak Minimalist 1 737 January 9, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  3D printing, self-replication and space travel FifthElement 8 2156 November 6, 2014 at 12:10 am
Last Post: FifthElement
  The word for moving thought space Gooders1002 11 3636 June 9, 2013 at 7:32 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Space-X CRS-1 Launch popeyespappy 3 1976 October 7, 2012 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: jonb
  The Fabric of the Cosmos: What Is Space? Gooders1002 0 1302 May 4, 2012 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002