Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 1:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] What are your overall opinions on people who are idiots in math?
RE: What are your overall opinions on people who are idiots in math?
(October 16, 2022 at 2:17 pm)polymath257 Wrote: A perspective:

“Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best, he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear his shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house.”

― Robert Heinlein

In my experience, there are very few people who *cannot* do math. There are many that are not willing to put in the work required (whether due to lack of interests, lack of time, lack of good resources, etc). And it may well take going back to elementary school and really learning arithmetic before tackling algebra, trig, and calculus.

But it is also true that for many people the amount of time spent in learning the language of math will have minimal reward. Anything through algebra is simply learning the alphabet. Calculus is basic reading. It is only much later that you get to good literature and poetry.
I really think my math issues go back to my HS experience.  Even several of the super smart kids in my class were being tutored by the older brother of one of them who obviously knew how to teach.

The first time I attempted Algebra, I passed the first semester and failed the second.  The next year I signed up again and requested the other Algebra teacher who seemed to be able to teach to even the dimmest in our grade.  Instead, I was put back with Sr. Francis...no amount of begging on my part would change the minds of the admin.  Again, I passed the first semester and flunked the second.  So I spent two school years to get 1/2 a credit.

I know I use Algebra when I am doing certain bookkeeping tasks and also when I design quilts.  I refuse to refer to it as Algebra though.  I think I have math PTSD.   Panic

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Messages In This Thread
RE: What are your overall opinions on people who are idiots in math? - by arewethereyet - October 16, 2022 at 2:31 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Math game Fake Messiah 47 3898 October 14, 2023 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  I hate math Woah0 5 1104 September 25, 2022 at 5:10 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Math problem that is driving the Internet crazy GrandizerII 49 7218 April 27, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  Explain the Math - Must Be Rocket Scientist to Participate. T0 Th3 M4X 13 1950 December 3, 2018 at 7:21 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Can you cut a cake fairly to solve this middle school math problem? Whateverist 82 13914 August 7, 2017 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Why Do You Like Math? Kernel Sohcahtoa 33 6153 February 5, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Great math interaction site for "beginners" (algebra, geometry, even calculus) GrandizerII 3 1486 October 20, 2016 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Can you solve this 6th grade math problem? pocaracas 52 11267 August 15, 2016 at 10:03 am
Last Post: wiploc
  Math Educations: who needs it, how much and when? Whateverist 49 13805 February 28, 2016 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: Chas
  Math suggestions Heat 25 5406 January 3, 2016 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain