Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2024, 2:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress.
RE: The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress.
(July 5, 2023 at 1:57 am)Belacqua Wrote: These are characteristics of contingent things. Something that isn't contingent hasn't come to be, by definition.

If a non-contingent creator "hasn't come to be, by definition", then you are doubling down on special pleading. Explain why everything else needs a cause, but your creator doesn't.

(July 5, 2023 at 1:57 am)Belacqua Wrote: The gist of the argument is that contingent things can only exist because there is one non-contingent thing.

You've just argued above that non-contingent beings haven't come to be and now 50 words later you're arguing again they they are required. Might you make up your mind?

(July 5, 2023 at 1:57 am)Belacqua Wrote: Normally we say that things which come to be have been caused by something else, but if you have a way of describing how something can come to be without relying on the existence of a prior thing, then that would be interesting to know. 

You should check out some quantum mechanics. You might learn a little.

(July 5, 2023 at 1:57 am)Belacqua Wrote: You misunderstand me.

I probably understand you more than you'd like. I know bullshit when I smell it. High-falutin' words don't put me off, and tossing them into a salad only makes me look for some dressing.

Now explain to me again how a non-contingent being doesn't exist at all, but is required for contingent beings. Take your time, I'm headed off to sleep so you've got a few hours to get your act together.

Weak shit. Weak.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress. - by Thumpalumpacus - July 5, 2023 at 2:42 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 10011 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Silver
  An infinite progress FortyTwo 185 19416 September 13, 2021 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Anthropic Principle vs Goddidit Coffee Jesus 39 6417 April 24, 2014 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  "The Judeo-Christian God Is Infinite"-Einstein michaelsherlock 7 3260 April 13, 2012 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Phil