Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 10:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress.
RE: The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress.
(July 7, 2023 at 10:54 am)Nishant Xavier Wrote: Just passing through.

@LadyForCamus said:

"Let’s concede, just for fun, that the universe had a ‘First Cause’. What is it, and how do you know?"

Ok. So if we concede that, even jff, the next step is to deduce the Necessary Properties of this First Cause.

So that's why I mentioned Properties I-IV of the First Cause. Because B1 is not contingent on a Prior Being, He/It exists non-contingently, i.e. necessarily.

Can we agree on that much? That would be the first step. And subsequent premises, just like we do in mathematic theorems, would build on those foundational axioms. That a First Cause exists, then that He/It exists necessarily, i.e. without beginning or end, eternally, then in the next steps, that He is a Personal Being, Supremely Good, Perfectly Simple, Actus Purus (Pure Actuality), without Potentiality, etc etc.

That is not what she asked. She was interested in discussion of the mechanism or relationship between the cause/ necessary being and the caused contingent universe. It would be legitimate to demand an answer to the question, 'How does god cause the universe?' If we are to accept this extraordinary explanation, we are within our rights to request more detail.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress. - by Fake Messiah - July 7, 2023 at 11:27 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 7474 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  An infinite progress FortyTwo 185 15496 September 13, 2021 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Anthropic Principle vs Goddidit Coffee Jesus 39 5620 April 24, 2014 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  "The Judeo-Christian God Is Infinite"-Einstein michaelsherlock 7 3086 April 13, 2012 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Phil